Stephen Clouse wrote:
> I will preface this message with this: this is not a mod_perl bug or
> problem, but it involves a mod_perl application, so this is probably a
> good place to get advice from experienced mod_perl users/developers.
>
> I have an application that ran on mod_perl 1.3 and perl 5.8 for a long
> time, that I recently ported over to a Fedora 9 box, thus moving it to
> mod_perl 2.0 and perl 5.10.
>
> Under this new environment, I am getting some of the most bizarre and
> insidious perl core errors I've ever seen in my 15 years of using perl.
> Here's a sampling:
>
> Attempt to free unreferenced scalar: SV 0xbd266be4, Perl interpreter:
> 0xba01c410 at /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.10.0/HTML/Mason/Component.pm
> line 147.
> panic: attempt to copy value 20 to a freed scalar bd49dffc
> Use of freed value in iteration
> panic: free from wrong pool
>
> Not to mention countless application errors involving dereferencing,
> where things that are supposed to be arrays and hashrefs have magically
> turned into strings and key values, and vice versa.

For what it is worth, I spent a couple hours trying to a development
setup running on FC9 with 5.10.0, and gave up because of oddball errors.

Perl 5.10.0 is considered to be a testing release
(http://cpan.perl.org/src/README.html), and FC9 is still pretty fresh.

I would suggest going with FC8 and 5.8.8 until FC9 has been out in the
wild for a while, and perhaps waiting until 5.10.1 is released. You may
be able to figure out exactly what the problem is, but it may make more
sense to use FC8 and 5.8.8.