[MP2]lookup_uri and HTTPS - modperl

This is a discussion on [MP2]lookup_uri and HTTPS - modperl ; Hello all, I am writing an handler generating sub-requests by using the lookup_uri and run (Apache2::SubRequest) methods. My question is : is it technically possible to generate HTTPS sub-request (I observed that sub-requests were using HTTP) using the mod_perl API ...

  1. [MP2]lookup_uri and HTTPS

    Hello all,

    I am writing an handler generating sub-requests by using the lookup_uri and
    run (Apache2::SubRequest) methods.
    My question is : is it technically possible to generate HTTPS sub-request (I
    observed that sub-requests were using HTTP) using the mod_perl API ?
    If yes, which API do I have to use (I can not find any examples, or I tried
    the APR::URI class but unsuccessfully) ?
    If not, which solution is possible (using LWP ?)

    Thanks

  2. Re: [MP2]lookup_uri and HTTPS

    titetluc titetluc wrote:
    > My question is : is it technically possible to generate HTTPS sub-request (I
    > observed that sub-requests were using HTTP) using the mod_perl API ?

    Forgive my impertinence, but on the face of it, that question does not
    seem to make a lot of sense.
    HTTP or HTTPS are protocols that carry requests and responses over "the
    outside world" (e.g. the Internet or Intranet). A sub-request is
    something that happens totally inside of Apache, so it does not really
    have (nor need) a protocol. You just ask Apache to return the result of
    getting "/location/object", without ever leaving the context of Apache
    itself.

    Now, a REDIRECT going back to the browser is another story, but above
    you mention sub-requests, don't you ?

    André

  3. Re: [MP2]lookup_uri and HTTPS

    On Tue 01 Jul 2008, titetluc titetluc wrote:
    > I am writing an handler generating sub-requests by using the lookup_uri and
    > run (Apache2::SubRequest) methods.
    > My question is : is it technically possible to generate HTTPS sub-request
    > (I observed that sub-requests were using HTTP)

    No, none of the protocols is used to make subreqs. HTTP/HTTPS are network
    protocols. With subreqs there is no network. A subreq is like a recursive
    call of the same request answering machine. Hence, HTTPS? is irrelevant.
    Normally the document accessed via a subreq has to be accessible locally.

    > using the mod_perl API *? If
    > yes, which API do I have to use (I can not find any examples, or I tried
    > the APR::URI class but unsuccessfully) ?
    > If not, which solution is possible (using LWP ?)

    But it can be any kind of document apache can serve. So it can be a regular
    file, something dynamically created (CGI/PHP/modperl etc) or even a document
    for which the current server acts as proxy.

    So in your case I see 2 options:

    1) implement the included document via a CGI/modperl handler using LWP or
    similar

    2) use mod_proxy as reverse proxy

    In both cases it's not possible to proxy an established SSL identity (client
    certificate) to the backend server due to the nature of SSL. Nor can your
    client verify the identity of the backend.

    If possible I'd go for the mod_proxy version. 1) it doesn't load perl routines
    in memory. 2) it passes the data an almost as fast as possible whereas
    homegrown LWP solutions tend to buffer the whole document before sending any
    output.

    But mod_proxy has also drawbacks. It is very difficult to make a POST request
    to the backend this way and feed it some data. I once had a similar problem
    when I wanted to include a proxied document and pass on the POST input of the
    original request to the backend. In the end I did it in Perl.

    Torsten

    --
    Need professional mod_perl support?
    Just hire me: torsten.foertsch@gmx.net