graphics in perl - modperl

This is a discussion on graphics in perl - modperl ; We are running perl 5.8.5 on a Linux machine that is running apache 2.2.6 with mod_perl 2.0.3. Our data is in a MySQL database (MySQL 5.0.45) We have been asked to write a web application that requires plotting capabilities. We ...

  1. graphics in perl

    We are running perl 5.8.5 on a Linux machine that is running apache 2.2.6 with mod_perl 2.0.3. Our data is in a MySQL database (MySQL 5.0.45)

    We have been asked to write a web application that requires plotting capabilities. We do most of our web programming in perl so I am looking for a perl module that has the following features:
    1. ability to create histograms
    2. ability to create x,y plots
    3. ability to zoom in on a portion of the graph
    4. ability to calculate the distance between 2 points on the graph
    5. ability to hover on a point and bring up some text

    Does anyone have any suggestions for which perl modules we should look into?

    Thanks for any information.

    --

    Malka Cymbalista
    Webmaster, Weizmann Institute of Science

  2. RE: graphics in perl

    I'd recommend interfacing with R (http://www.r-project.org)

    ________________________________

[...]

  3. Re: graphics in perl

    Am Sonntag, 22. Juni 2008 11:27:26 schrieb Malka Cymbalista:
    > We are running perl 5.8.5 on a Linux machine that is running apache 2.2.6
    > with mod_perl 2.0.3. Our data is in a MySQL database (MySQL 5.0.45)
    >
    > We have been asked to write a web application that requires plotting
    > capabilities. We do most of our web programming in perl so I am looking
    > for a perl module that has the following features: 1. ability to create
    > histograms
    > 2. ability to create x,y plots
    > 3. ability to zoom in on a portion of the graph
    > 4. ability to calculate the distance between 2 points on the graph
    > 5. ability to hover on a point and bring up some text
    >
    > Does anyone have any suggestions for which perl modules we should look
    > into?
    >
    > Thanks for any information.

    For drawing graphs you can have a look at google graph api
    (http://code.google.com/apis/chart/)

    I've once used another cart libray offering API in different languages
    see : http://www.advsofteng.com/product.html

    And then there is GD::Graph, but I have no experience with this.
    For basic graphic functions look at Imager (imager.perl.org)

    --
    Regards
    Rolf Schaufelberger

  4. Re: graphics in perl

    Malka Cymbalista wrote:
    > We are running perl 5.8.5 on a Linux machine that is running apache 2.2.6 with mod_perl 2.0.3. Our data is in a MySQL database (MySQL 5.0.45)
    >
    > We have been asked to write a web application that requires plotting capabilities. We do most of our web programming in perl so I am looking for a perl module that has the following features:
    > 1. ability to create histograms
    > 2. ability to create x,y plots
    > 3. ability to zoom in on a portion of the graph
    > 4. ability to calculate the distance between 2 points on the graph
    > 5. ability to hover on a point and bring up some text
    >
    > Does anyone have any suggestions for which perl modules we should look into?
    >
    > Thanks for any information.

    There are a lot of perl APIs built over various graphics packages.
    You can start with this list:
    http://search.cpan.org/modlist/Graphics

    You might also try searching cpan for some specific keywords, because I
    don't believe all the graphics modules are in that list. For example,
    I've used Image::Magick for doing some basic image resizing and
    conversion, but I don't see Image::Magick in that list.

    --
    Jim Albert

  5. Re: graphics in perl

    Rolf Schaufelberger wrote:
    > Am Sonntag, 22. Juni 2008 11:27:26 schrieb Malka Cymbalista:
    >
    >> We are running perl 5.8.5 on a Linux machine that is running apache 2.2.6
    >> with mod_perl 2.0.3. Our data is in a MySQL database (MySQL 5.0.45)
    >>
    >> We have been asked to write a web application that requires plotting
    >> capabilities. We do most of our web programming in perl so I am looking
    >> for a perl module that has the following features: 1. ability to create
    >> histograms
    >> 2. ability to create x,y plots
    >> 3. ability to zoom in on a portion of the graph
    >> 4. ability to calculate the distance between 2 points on the graph
    >> 5. ability to hover on a point and bring up some text
    >>
    >> Does anyone have any suggestions for which perl modules we should look
    >> into?

    To make your life easier, use a third-party Flash charting tool. It's
    pretty and it's more interactive than a static jpg (for example).

    The role of Perl in this case is simply to generate the data for the
    flash application to load. Most of the time it's an XML document, so
    that's something Perl does very well.

  6. RE: graphics in perl

    > Am Sonntag, 22. Juni 2008 11:27:26 schrieb Malka Cymbalista:
    >
    >> We are running perl 5.8.5 on a Linux machine that is running apache 2.2.6
    >> with mod_perl 2.0.3. Our data is in a MySQL database (MySQL 5.0.45)
    >>
    >> We have been asked to write a web application that requires plotting
    >> capabilities. We do most of our web programming in perl so I am looking
    >> for a perl module that has the following features: 1. ability to create
    >> histograms
    >> 2. ability to create x,y plots
    >> 3. ability to zoom in on a portion of the graph
    >> 4. ability to calculate the distance between 2 points on the graph
    >> 5. ability to hover on a point and bring up some text
    >>
    >> Does anyone have any suggestions for which perl modules we should look
    >> into?

    To make your life easier, use a third-party Flash charting tool. It's
    pretty and it's more interactive than a static jpg (for example).

    The role of Perl in this case is simply to generate the data for the
    flash application to load. Most of the time it's an XML document, so
    that's something Perl does very well.

  7. Re: graphics in perl

    I'e used Visual Engineering's KavaChart <http://www.ve.com/kavachart/index.html/
    > to do 1, 2, 3, and 5 above. It may do 4, but I haven't tried

    anything like that with it. I have code for a simple System Load
    application listed at . Look
    for System Load near the top of that page. You can also see something
    pulling data from a URL at by viewing
    the source of that page. Check the graph on the left side of the page.

    Mike Schienle

  8. Re: graphics in perl

    michael watson (IAH-C) wrote:
    > Did you try GD::Graph?

    GD::Graph is a good graphing tool. It can get quite low-level as well,
    so you have to decide which visualiser works for you.

    The advantage of GD::Graph is that it'd likely be rendered as a JPEG/
    GIF, and that's something you can download and reuse in an executive
    chart. But if you want something interactive (think click-through), then
    Flash has that advantage.

+ Reply to Thread