--------------enigE628C3F319E1F6DC33B23A69

Fred Moyer wrote:
> Geoffrey Young wrote:
>>
>> Fred Moyer wrote:

>>> See the Changelog:
>>>
>>> Apache2::Reload has been moved to an externally maintained
>>> CPAN distribution
>>>
>>> http://search.cpan.org/dist/Apache-Reload-0.10/

>> hmm...
>>
>> I can't remember if I knew this or not, but we probably ought to treat=

=20
>> this like Apache-Test: keep bundling it with releases _and_ maintain=20
>> something separate on CPAN.

>=20
> That's on the radar for 2.0.5, along with Apache::SizeLimit, to bundle =

> using svn:external. Phillip Gollucci brought this up about a month ago=

=20
> or so, and I started to move on it but Gozer brought up a number of=20
> things that had to be done to make this happen and the works with 5.10 =

> release was pressing at that point.
>=20
> Don't worry, I won't forget about it
>=20
>> so I guess this means a mp2 release should (going forward) include _an=

d_=20
>> imply a new release of
>>
>> o mp2
>> o Apache-Test
>> o Apache-Reload

o Apache-SizeLimit

And as the latest Release Manager, I must say that having to release 3
extra CPAN modules along with each mp2 releases is going to be a PITA.

http://svn.apache.org/[...]/Apache-Test/tags/1.31

THat way, 2 things happen. First, we can always release mod_perl, without=

having to worry about these external packages. We know what we are bundli=
ng
is exactly the same stuff that is _already_ on CPAN, great. Second, mod_p=
erl
itself is protected from spurious failures caused by changes in any of th=
ese
modules before they are released.

The only negative is that if a change is made to say Apache-Test to fix a=

problem mod_perl needs/wants, it complicates things a little. I make the
fix in A-T, making sure it fixes mod_perl's problem. If sure of that,
I proceed to release A-T. Once released, I can now test mod_perl against
this new A-T by locally changing the tag the svn:external is pointing to,=

and if it solves to problem and doesn't create new ones, checkin the new
external definition.

I've dealt with 3rd packages in this way plenty, and it works.

Anyhting terribly obvious I am missing here ?

--=20
Philippe M. Chiasson GPG: F9BFE0C2480E7680 1AE53631CB32A107 88C3A5A5
http://gozer.ectoplasm.org/ m/gozer\@(apache|cpan|ectoplasm)\.org/