Ironically, I had already started writing my own class called
Apache::Filter (which I had intended to implement within each CGI
script), completely unaware that a class with that name already existed,
and did exactly what I was looking for. This will be much better and
save lots of time.

I've had other experiences where I found a module that already did
something I was trying to do, but this is the first time I've started
writing one with the exact same name. :-)

Thanks,

Peter