Colin Wetherbee wrote:
> Ronald Dai. wrote:
>> Actually RTFM would not be a problem for people from academic
>> background (meaning MS or PHD educated) at all since they have to do
>> it all the time....but for people with more team work background
>> these days, it might not be politically very correct...

> I disagree. Granted, I have a master's degree.

I should point out that one could be educated without a MS or a PhD.
One could also be uneducated with a MS and/or a PhD. It depends on
one's quality of education and their self-motivation in RTFM. But I
know that Ronald is saying it casually, just like the expression "being
a rocket scientist" which is probably an out-dated expression now.

> But, let's say, as very nearly happened on another mailing list
> yesterday, someone installs database software and can't figure out how
> to create a database. I say go look at the manual and here's the
> specific URL that covers creating new databases. Now, that person
> knows where to look for information about creating a database, *and*
> that person also knows where to look for answers to future simple
> questions.

I totally agree with this and I think that one has to know the material
before working as a group. Some university courses are so caught up in
the terminology like "team work", they seem to jump a step.

Just like it would be good to learn how to add before you can use a
calculator. Yes, everyone nowadays uses a calculator -- it is in high
school curriculum now and it is also the "real world" -- but strange to
focus on the calculator if someone does not even know how to do the
operations that a calculator does...

Ray