On Fri, 2008-02-22 at 09:52 +0000, John ORourke wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> I'm trying to make my apache processes as small as possible, and one
> thing I find lacking in optimisation guides is actual real world process
> sizes.
>
> So... how big is yours?

I'm running on 32-bit linux 2.6, using apache 2.2.4, mod_perl 2.03,
running this site : http://announce.jpress.co.uk

A typical httpd process looks like this (as output by the smem.pl script
at http://www.contrib.andrew.cmu.edu/~b...memory/smem.pl )

VMSIZE: 136832 kb
RSS: 42236 kb total
25796 kb shared
64 kb private clean
16376 kb private dirty

> Mine start at around 60MB, jump to 80MB when my app is initialised, and
> can peak at 120MB during their lifetime. For reference I tried making
> the tiniest possible one with everything stripped out, and that was
> still 40MB - is this normal?

Depends what you're measuring - it sounds like you're including VM in
there as well.

Clint