On Sat, 9 Feb 2008, William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:

> Foo JH wrote:
>> Andre,
>>
>> I've recently set up a test based very closely on your platform:
>> AP2.2.8
>> AP5.8.8 Build 822
>> MP2.0.3

> You mention a VC 2005 build of httpd, which build of MP? 2005?
>
> Not sure which uwinnipeg is built against, msvcrt or msvcr80.

I use VC++ 6 to build the mod_perl ppm packages in the
UWinnipeg repository, which is the same as ActivePerl.

> But my recent observation is that if you use AS Perl, which is built
> against msvcrt, it's likely best to use modperl built against msvcrt
> as well. I'm doubting httpd's clib has a whole lot to do with it.

I've also seen crashes of Apache/2.2.8 with mod_perl
when Apache is started as a service, whereas it's fine
if started from the command line. I'll try the
suggestion in
http://marc.info/?l=apache-modperl&m...4507226177&w=2
to see if it's the version of ActivePerl that's the problem.
However, I also noticed one thing - the mod_perl ppm
package was compiled against an earlier ActivePerl,
for binary compatibility with all ActivePerl versions
(in the 8xx series). If I use mod_perl compiled with
ActivePerl 822 against the 2.2.8 Apache sources, then
using it as a service is OK (at least, most of the time;
I still get very occasional crashes).

--
best regards,
Randy