--0-1458374047-1201798662=:89334

If you have a vanilla CGI script, every request you make to the webserver it's running on, will always create a new instance of that script, run it, return the values in a response and then the script ceases to exist in the server. The next time a request arrives for that script, the same sequence of events will start all over again. This becomes time consuming and a drag on the server's resources.

ModPerl::Registry, wraps your CGI script up as a handler, and allows the webserver to keep the same CGI script alive in the webserver between requests. This cuts down an starting the script up for every request. It's faster.

The request object is a structure that holds a lot of information, including params passed in from the request. How to use this request object, I outlined in my first mail to you. But the fact that it's available (should you need it) in your CGI script is because your CGI script magically becomes a handler. The first argument to any handler is the request object.

I hope this helps.

-Ants

Mag Gam wrote: But I am already reaping benefits of mod-perl. Not sure how ModPerl:Registy is going to help. What is its main benefits? Is it speed?

On Jan 31, 2008 5:03 AM, Anthony Gardner wrote:
The request object is used in handlers. You can either write handlers or CGI scripts. Continue using CGI but inorder to reap the benifits of mod-perl, you will need to run it under ModPerl::Registry.

In your CGI script, while running under ModPerl::Registry., you even have access to the request object. If, at main::, you have my $r = shift;, then you will get the object.

I hope this helps.

-Ants

Mag Gam wrote: Hi All,

I am bit confused. While reading the mod_perl book, I noticed they are using Apache::Request versus CGI for form data handling. Why is that? Is it recommended to use Apache over CGI? Any advantages? I am using CGI because its a standard module.

TIA

Disclaimer: Technically, I'm always wrong!!

Sent from Yahoo! - a smarter inbox.