I would suggest looking into the Email set of modules, e.g.
Email::Simple.

As far as security is concerned, try something like an email address
confirmation with user authentication. I think that's the most
common approach.

For example, require the user confirms their email address as a part
of user authentication
before they're allowed to email. That will keep spam bots out. If
you only have a limited
user base, you could skip the email confirmation and just keep a flat
file or database
records of allowed users.

-bop