Alx G wrote:
> I'm trying to use Apache:Prof with my Perl web app. I can't work out
> what I'm doing wrong - it should be working but it isn't (how many times
> have we all said that to ourselves eh?).
> I've run out of options to try now, I hope someone can help me please.
> ... ...
> I tried with and without the commented stuff - as was suggested in this
> thread.
> Apache is running in prefork, *not* worker mode (which was also pointed to
> as a possible culprit)
> /usr/sbin/httpd -V :
> Server MPM: Prefork
> threaded: no
> forked: yes (variable process count)
> The tmon.out files *are*being created, by the apache user, but they don't
> contain any useful info. I've also tried running apache using the -X
> command to spawn no child processes.
> I then hit a few different scripts in the browser and the most I ever see
> in those files, when shutting down apache is a reference to APR::Pool
> DESTROY and the usual stuff at the top, *but no other subroutine calls at
> all*.

Sincere thanks to everyone who has offered advice and suggestions, I've
still not quite managed to get it working - I feel like there's probably
something really obvious staring me in the face.

As a last ditch effort I thought I'd post an abridged version of my current
apache config in the hope that someone spots something crazy.

ServerTokens OS
ServerRoot "/etc/httpd"
PidFile run/
Timeout 120
KeepAlive Off
MaxKeepAliveRequests 100
KeepAliveTimeout 15

StartServers 8
MinSpareServers 5
MaxSpareServers 20
ServerLimit 256
MaxClients 256
MaxRequestsPerChild 4000

Listen 80

.... load various modules ...

LoadModule perl_module modules/

require Apache:B;

PerlModule Apache:Prof

Listen 8001

DocumentRoot "/usr/local/myapp/htdocs"
ErrorDocument 404 /cgi-bin/
ErrorLog logs/myapp_error_log
CustomLog logs/myapp_access_log combined
PerlOptions +Parent
PerlSwitches -I/usr/local/myapp/lib

Order allow,deny
Allow from all

SetEnv SYBASE /usr
SetHandler perl-script
PerlHandler ModPerl::PerlRun
# PerlHandler ModPerl::RegistryPrefork # tried this also, no change
# PerlFixupHandler Apache:B # tried this, just filled up my error log
with very low-level mod_perl calls, page didn't load, nothing in tmon.out
(pages work fine without it)
PerlOptions +ParseHeaders
Options +ExecCGI

PerlModule Apache2::Reload
PerlInitHandler Apache2::Reload

.... more misc config stuff ...

And this is the most I ever see in tmon.out:

$XS_VERSION='DProf 20050603.00';
# All values are given in HZ
$over_utime=5; $over_stime=2; $over_rtime=17;
$rrun_utime=86; $rrun_stime=111; $rrun_rtime=2971;

@ 0 0 1
+ 2
- 2
@ 86 111 2970

Thanks again for your time.
View this message in context:
Sent from the mod_perl - General mailing list archive at