c chan wrote:
> I use "PerlConfigRequire /var/www/html/mypath/startup.pl" in httpd.conf to recompile all the CGIs. Inside startup.pl, I added the line:
>
> use lib qw(. mylib);
>
> To me amazement, after all the CGI is precompiled, they start to look into the "." and "mylib" path for loading Perl Modules without even having the line [use lib qw(. mylib);] incorporated in each individual cgi script.
>
> Can someone explain to me why this is the case? Is the mod_perl startup.pl script simply becomes the parent apache process for all the preloaded CGIs?

This is normal. Under mod_perl the perl interpreter just keeps running
until the apache child dies your modified @INC stays modified. I'm sure
someone with a better understanding of the internals can give a more
detailed 'why'. FYI though, you should probably use PerlPostConfigRequire

http://perl.apache.org/docs/2.0/user...ConfigRequire_

> If I remove mod_perl, can I use the
>
> PerlSetEnv -I/var/www/html/mypath -I/var/www/html/mypath/lib
>
> to achieve the same result.

Isn't PerlSetEnv part of mod_perl? In which case, no that wouldn't work
if you'd removed mod_perl

> This will make a profound effect on my CGI directory because whatever I installed will no longer affect the system perl module search path. In effect, this will make my application self contained and making trouble shooting make easier.
>
> - C Chan

Adam