>> http://www.apache.org/~gozer/mp1/mod....31-rc1.tar.gz

> The apache Configure on my box sets my LIBEXT to "a" which is indeed
> what I always wanted to have. So the rules for "so" were correct as
> they were written and I do not know if they ever were invoked. The
> result of the 1.31 build is that the httpsd in the end is only 0.5 MB
> instead of 1.7 MB and it doesn't start either.

Sorry, I forgot this interesting make error message:

Makefile:141: warning: overriding commands for target `libperl.a'
Makefile:136: warning: ignoring old commands for target `libperl.a'

This is the content of the Makefile (maybe something is off by one,
but the point is that LIBEXT=a leads to a duplicate rule and the wrong
rule wins.

135 libperl.a: $(MP_OBJS)
136 $(MP_RM) $@
137 $(MP_AR) crv $@ $(MP_OBJS)