Thanks, good hint. I was thinking that myself overnight.

Here's the basic scenario:

I use the main request handler to generate XML. I have a framework that
allows me to glue together various sub-handlers (from my framework, not
Apache handlers) to add disparate data elements into the XML depending
on the context of the page.

Then I use an output filter to process the XML using XSLT. This
completely separates data from presentation. Works really well except
for my current issue. Seems like a reasonable use of the Apache 2.x
handler structure.

So I don't actually know whether the template exists until the output
filter. I don't want to pollute my data generation phase with checking
ahead for the template. I'm also not sure why Apache isn't detecting
that the template doesn't exist ... it should look like any other
servable resource.

So before I start messing with headers I think I'll look at the way my
configuration file is set up. Perhaps I'm doing something stupid there.
I'm using instead of (or whatever) to
configure the output filter ... maybe it's something like that.

Thanks again!