From: Mark Maunder=20
To: Perrin Harkins=20
Cc: Darryl Miles ; Gary Sewell ; modperl@perl.apache.org=20
Sent: Monday, November 05, 2007 7:28 AM
Subject: Re: 32 & 64 bit memory differences

I run lighttpd as reverse proxy in front of mod_perl configured with =
prefork. I average 100 to 200 concurrent connections on lighttpd and =
need 4 mod_perl processes with keepalive disabled to service all those =
requests. [thanks Perrin for suggesting this config!!]=20

On Nov 4, 2007 6:59 PM, Perrin Harkins wrote:

On 11/4/07, Darryl Miles wrote:
> Usually most setups that need to use a reverse proxy need at least =

3=20
> backend servers.

I think you're missing the purpose of the reverse proxy. Any =
mod_perl
system will be able to run fewer mod_perl processes if you run a
reverse proxy. It helps with buffering and with the lingering close =

problem. There's some discussion here:
http://modperlbook.org/html/12-7-3-B...g-Feature.html

> If you need a reverse proxy then it presumes you have plenty of =

traffic.

It just presumes you would like to run fewer large mod_perl =
processes
in total to serve your traffic. It's advisable even with a single=20
machine to save memory.

> Maybe what you mean is you don't need nearly this many servers if =

you
> don't have availably targets to meet.

No, I read the original message as saying that the servers were =
needed=20
in order to run enough large mod_perl processes to serve the site. =
reverse proxy helps with that by reducing the number of processes
needed.

> A 32bit Linux kernel can access memory > 4Gb (I think this =

mechanism is=20
> called PAE and was even a feature of older Pentium 3 CPUs).

I've never seen anyone actually use PAE. It may be because of the
performance hit, or because it requires compiling your own kernel, =
in=20
an age where that's no longer very common. Even getting 4GB of RAM =
work in 32-bit Linux was fairly tricky until recently.

There's a summary of information about memory limits in 32-bit Linux =
here:=20
http://www.spack.org/wiki/LinuxRamLimits

- Perrin

--=20
Mark Maunder < mmaunder@gmail.com>
http://markmaunder.com/
+1-206-6978723
------=_NextPart_000_005B_01C81F85.927212C0

charset=3Diso-8859-1">

Does anyone know a server that can be =
used as a=20
reverse proxy for mod_perl applications that have a version for Windows =
and one=20
for Linux?

I need to develop under Windows and use =
in=20
production under Linux, and I would like to use the same =
setup.

Thanks.

Octavian