------=_Part_28352_11149679.1194240514245

I run lighttpd as reverse proxy in front of mod_perl configured with
prefork. I average 100 to 200 concurrent connections on lighttpd and need 4
mod_perl processes with keepalive disabled to service all those requests.
[thanks Perrin for suggesting this config!!]

--
Mark Maunder
http://markmaunder.com/

http://modperlbook.org/html/12-7-3-Buffering-Feature.html

> If you need a reverse proxy then it presumes you have plenty of traffic.

It just presumes you would like to run fewer large mod_perl processes
in total to serve your traffic.  It's advisable even with a single

machine to save memory.

> Maybe what you mean is you don't need nearly this many servers if you
> don't have availably targets to meet.

No, I read the original message as saying that the servers were needed

in order to run enough large mod_perl processes to serve the site.  A
reverse proxy helps with that by reducing the number of processes
needed.

> A 32bit Linux kernel can access memory > 4Gb (I think this mechanism is

> called PAE and was even a feature of older Pentium 3 CPUs).

I've never seen anyone actually use PAE.  It may be because of the
performance hit, or because it requires compiling your own kernel, in

an age where that's no longer very common.  Even getting 4GB of RAM to
work in 32-bit Linux was fairly tricky until recently.

There's a summary of information about memory limits in 32-bit Linux here:

http://www.spack.org/wiki/LinuxRamLimits

- Perrin

--
Mark Maunder <