On Thursday 18 October 2007 9:47:31 am Colvin, Joshua wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I am trying to upgrade bugzilla from 2.22 to 3.0.2 on 32-bit RHEL4, and
> this means upgrading mod_perl from 1.99_16 to 2.0.03 via CPAN.
> Unfortunately the 'make test' fails, saying:
>
> the server is down, giving up after 121 secs
> [=A0 error] failed to start server! (please examine t/logs/error_log)

Was there nothing useful in the error_log?

> httpd is up and running when the above is output. It does not fail on any
> specific test number according to the error_log and I don't see any "erro=

r"
> msgs in the error_log. I've made sure httpd is stopped before doing the
> upgrade, otherwise I always get a:

> Below is the console output for everything I did, minus the lengthy parts
> that didn't seem relevant. Any ideas?

Do you have ssl configured? One thing I've noticed is that if you do, and=20
you're restarting apache a lot (as happens when you're testing) then it's=20
very easy to run out of entropy for the random number generator, at which=20
point apache will hang on start until the system gains enough entropy.

On a linux box, check:
/proc/sys/kernel/random/_avail
You need numbers over 50 for apache/ssl to be happy, in the hundreds is=20
better, single digit means you're stuck.

Solutions include less random random sources, entropy generator sources=20
and "cat /var/logs/* > /dev/null" (the quick and dirty method if you just=20
need it occasionally).