I had no idea practical mod_perl was online - that's really cool!

Assuming threaded and prefork work equally well in my config, doesn't
it therefore make sense to run a threaded MPM with a small interpreter
pool instead of running prefork with a reverse proxy?

With prefork with a proxy it seems you're emulating the threaded model
with lots of lightweight connection handlers and a few heavyweight
processes that are quickly freed up after doing the heavy lifting for
each connection.

On 10/17/07, Perrin Harkins wrote:
> On 10/16/07, Mark Maunder wrote:
> > This server has no proxy in front of it and only serves mod_perl
> > requests. Static content is loaded from another server with a
> > different hostname.

> Even so, if you run prefork, you need a proxy server. The reason is
> explained in detail here:
> http://www.modperlbook.org/html/12-5...ator-Mode.html
> In short, running a proxy will usually lower the number of mod_perl
> processes needed significantly.
> > I had keepalive enabled with a 2 second timeout on
> > this server until a few seconds ago.

> That should be fine in worker mode, where the threads don't hold the
> perl interpreter while they wait for the lingering close, but with
> prefork mode you should only do this on the proxy server.
> > Also, I'm using mod_deflate which means I can spare some
> > bandwidth.

> That could also go on the proxy server.
> - Perrin

Mark Maunder