I've had amazing experience setting up development sandboxes with VMWare
Workstation and deploying them on Player (which means less investment in
licenses). I use MySQL replication from the live server for keeping the
DBs in sync and SVN for file management. If I've got people who use
win32 as their workstation OS (I frequently do), I add a samba share to
make file editing even easier. I find that with 128-256 MB RAM and a
few GB diskspace spare on the developers workstations this makes
development easier on everyone.

If you have need/want, you can use VMWare ACE to further control access
to the dev sandboxes (from dealing with consultants who need temporary
access to renegade employees) but that costs more.

Issac