------=_Part_11152_19140696.1163314890600

I've found conflicting information about this.

modperl: Is there a performance impact to breaking up a single 350k file
(monolithic package) into multiple files (still the same package name)?

I guess I'm asking: Are larger files inherently slower, even when
pre-compiled? (Obviously, I'm not a computer science student)

Here's the situation:

Over time, what was a 60k package has grown to 350k, encompassing many subs
that do more or less, 3 mutually exclusive operations. I want to remove
70% of the subs and put them into their own files for
maintenace/organization reasons, but is there a performance benefit or hit
by doing this? The main file will basically direct, requireing the
additional files only when necessary. But under mod perl, I believe the
require will only happen once (per process) anyway.

Was:

package foo

[a,b,c] (~350k)

Now:

package foo

[a] (~75k)
require [b] (~115k) only when necessary
require [c] (~160k) only when necessary

Thank you for enlightenment or a reference link, in advance.