------=_Part_107052_13930329.1162242267149

SELinux is certainly included in RHEL 4 (though it is an option at install
time whether it is enabled or not). Check your message log for avc failures.
e.g.:

kernel: audit(1162240773.996:667): avc: denied { write } for pid=23025
comm="httpd" name="dprof" dev=dm-0 ino=24282699
scontext=root:system_r:httpd_t tcontext=rootbject_r:httpd_config_t
tclass=dir

You can also temporarily disable SELinux by doing:

echo '0' > /selinux/enforce