On Mon, 2006-10-30 at 12:47 -0700, Harry Plate wrote:
> *** Cannot open log file, Permission denied at /var/www/cgi-bin/test.pl...

[...]
> Note the folder and file permissions are wide open; so I would next expect
> that the unix fs is *not* the one that is complaining...

I think it probably is your fs. Try becoming the user that you run your
web server as and see if you can write to that directory. I suspect
there is an enclosing directory higher up that doesn't have the right
permissions.

> So is there some kind of mod_perl/Apache setting that is unique to the RH
> Enterprise Linux 4 (vs RH WS 4) ?

There's nothing in mod_perl or Apache, but Red Hat includes SELinux in
Fedora Core. Not sure if that's in RHEL 4 or not.

- Perrin