--Apple-Mail-1--802036925

On 26-Oct-06, at 11:59 PM, Kjetil Kjernsmo wrote:

> On Thursday 26 October 2006 21:07, Philippe M. Chiasson wrote:
>> Terry, Jason wrote:
>>> $ENV{=91SERVER_NAME=92}

>> That wold also work.
>>
>> But in general, I wouldn't recommend using %ENV from within mod_perl,

> Can I ask why not? I was of the same opinion, mainly because %ENV is
> populated for every request (isn't it?) and so represents an overhead,
> but then my colleagues pointed out that if it is there allready, the
> penalty has allready been taken, so why not use it?

True, _if_ it's already in %ENV, getting the information out of there =20=

is at
virtually no cost. Getting the information out using a more direct API
call also comes at virtually no cost.

Main difference IMO? It's a shorter, more direct path to ask for $r-=20
>header_in->{Host}

that to use %ENV.

> To which I had no
> good answer. Perhaps %ENV can be turned off entirely?

And that's exactly it. One can do

PerlOptions -SetupEnv

or switch from

SetHandler perl-script
SetHandler mod-perl

And all magical (and CGI compatible) %ENV magic will be turned off.

And then that's when some Apache::* module starts behaving strangely,
since it was relying on $ENV{SERVER_NAME}

Hope that clarifies things a bit.=

--Apple-Mail-1--802036925
name=PGP.sig
content-transfer-encoding: 7bit