Dear Torsten,
=20
> This can happen if apache is compiled with SysV shared memory
> support. If a segment is used for example as scoreboard and apache is
> killed with SIGKILL the segment remains and prevents further
> starting. After a reboot the segment disappears and the server will
> start again.=20

this sounds exactly like the symptoms I can see!
=20
> You can check this with ipcs. A named scoreboard is not necessary.
> The way shared memory is allocated is defined when APR is configured.
> Linux supports all 3 choices. Unfortunately SysV is default. But for
> me mmap() based shared memory works best. It avoids this problem.

uff, never used ipcs before and I have no idea how to. This is what it =
shows
me right now (sorry for the German os-output):

----- Gemeinsamer Speicher: Segmente -----
Schl=FCssel shmid Besitzer Rechte Bytes nattch =
Status

----- Semaphorenfelder -----
Schl=FCssel SemID Besitzer Rechte nsems
0x00000000 1998848 wwwrun 600 1
0x00000000 2031617 wwwrun 600 1
0x00000000 688130 modperl 600 1
0x00000000 720899 modperl 600 1
0x00000000 1179652 modperl 600 1
0x00000000 1212421 modperl 600 1
0x00000000 1933318 modperl 600 1
0x00000000 1966087 modperl 600 1
0x00000000 2097160 modperl 600 1
0x00000000 2129929 modperl 600 1

----- Nachrichtenwarteschlangen -----
Schl=FCssel msqid Besitzer Rechte used-bytes messages

modperl ist the owner of my mod_perl webserver. wwwrun is just another
light httpd not affected by this topic at all.

> But maybe I am all wrong and your problem is somewhere else.

no, I think this could be it! But I don't know how to debug it any =
further.
Could you give me any additional hint?

Thank you,

--=20

Mit freundlichem Gru=DF

Henrik Steffen
Gesch=E4ftsf=FChrer

top concepts Internetmarketing GmbH
Am Steinkamp 7 - D-21684 Stade - Germany
Damit wir Ihnen bestm=F6glichen Service bieten k=F6nnen, senden
Sie Ihre E-Mail-Anfragen bitte an support@topconcepts.de
http://www.topconcepts.de Tel. +49 1805 9977 501*
mail: steffen@topconcepts.de Fax. +49 1805 9977 502*
SMS Versand ab 9.9 Cent: http://sms-gw.topconcepts.de
Handelsregister: AG Tostedt HRB 100687 - UstId: DE 213645563
*) EUR 0,12/Min. (CNS24)

openBC - We're Networking People
www.openbc.com/hp/Henrik_Steffen/