On Oct 17, 2006, at 2:55 PM, Henrik Steffen wrote:

> oops, I didn't know that. I have always done it with
> "apachectl restart" until now, and never had any trouble with it.
> Note though: apachectl is just a bash script which does a simple
> "/usr/sbin/httpd -k restart". Is this still a problem?

no one does! its very well documented, but in the worst documented
place ( not in 1.0/2.0 docs, but elsewhere ). everyone who has used
mod_perl finds out about it some time or another.

the problem is in the the restart signal to apache. it doesn't
recycle the memory. you need to do an explicit httpd stop , followed
by a start

> On a different machine e.g. it works fine, without even the
> problems restarting after a time.

that 'bug'/behavior seems to affect different os's and mp versions
differently. i think someone was trying to fix it and almost did
once. (maybe it is done in the newer ones )

> Really?? I have never seen something like that. My server has been
> running for 42 days now, with maybe 10 "apachectl restarts"
> since the last reboot, and the biggest httpd is still only 44 MB.
> At the moment only 3.8 GB of the available 4 GB are occupied.
> That's pretty normal for this server.

which os? i might have to switch.

> I read this article. And I got some help from it, because the
> kill -HUP works fine for me. The module changes are loaded and
> I don't need to perform a reboot anymore. That's very good!!

great!

> Still, I find it strange, that a usual "httpd -k restart" does not
> work.

the only way to get past it, is to forget thinking about it as
apache, and think about it as modperl.
you can still restart apache
you just can't restart modperl

> When typing "httpd -k start" or "apachectl start": nothing
> happening, no logs, no info, nothing.

try tailing /var/log/messages , /var/log/syslog & /var/log/security
when you do that next

it might be writing an error to something you don't expect.