On Sep 22, 2006, at 6:33 AM, Sean Davis wrote:

> You can create a simple logger under mod_perl that logs to a
> database directly
> using DBI. You would, of course, want to benchmark anything like
> this, but
> it isn't hard to code one.

No DBI. This is a high traffic server. I can't handle the overheard
of the DB. I need to write to file, then batch process stuff later.
Using a DB cuts my performance down to 1/15th of what apache can/
needs to handle.

On Sep 22, 2006, at 6:38 AM, Philip M. Gollucci wrote:
> mod_log_sql (written in C) works in both httpd 1.x and 2.x.
> Its been "professionally" benched to be almost non existant overhead.

i saw it earlier. it uses mysql, which means i'd need to get
another dedicated machine to run it on. my db box is pg, my webapp
boxes have pg for some support services. running mysql + pg on a box
= io nightmare
I liked the preserve mode. I thought about running it off a dead
connection to force that, then regexing the contents to work with PG.

On Sep 22, 2006, at 3:34 AM, James Smith wrote:
> Can you get away with using the apache logs to do this - use
> mod_log_config and add save your information in a sub_process_env
> variable - and add a %{my_env_var} entry into the logging directive?

Brilliant. That will totally do it.