Jonathan Vanasco wrote:
> GTop.pm is saying:
> ->size 46534656
> ->resident 52944896
>
> ps is saying
> root 93830 15.8 5.1 54928 51616
>
> It looks to me more like GTOP is just wrong on that.

I agree -- thats F***'ed though.

>> I think your best bet for that is to figure out how many children you
>> need to spawn until just
>> before you exhaust your physical ram. Then figure out how much of
>> must be shared for it to not be swapping.

> i was scared you'd say that.

HAHA

>> P.S. I've got to look up how GTOP from CPAN is interfacing with
>> libtop2?.so and then how it interfaces with getrusage(3)

> i actually tried to do it earlier. its damn confusing to me. i
> couldn't find anything in libgtop2 that was directly calling getrusage,
> outisde of some tests. so i'd brush up on the gterusage internals before
> taking a stab at it.

Its definitely some gnarly stuff -- not to be triffled with at 3am

>> One can see the kernel lies about the shared memory. It simply doesn't
>> count copy-on-write pages as shared.

> i'm fine with it lying. i just don't like it lying differently on every
> os.

Very few OSes if any get ALL this correct even today.
And do to their memory allocation schemes and architectures and what fits in what space
There's no way they should ever be close to matching.

1024D/A79997FA F357 0FDD 2301 6296 690F 6A47 D55A 7172 A799 97F

"In all that I've done wrong I know I must have done something right to
deserve a hug every morning and butterfly kisses at night."
<___/