On Wed, 2006-08-16 at 10:23 -0400, Jesse Erlbaum wrote:
> This is for primarily static web sites which are managed by a CMS. The
> CMS publishes out pages which would contain HTML + various bits of code
> to generate possibly navigation and semi-interactive bits of the page.
> (Imagine a list of the users currently logged into the site or a
> database query on the 5 products most relevant to the current page, for
> example.)

One way that I've done this kind of thing in the past is to really use
SSI and call a mod_perl handler or Registry script with it. In other
words, you write a "list users logged in" thing in CGI::Application as
usual and then call it like this from a page:

That just makes an Apache subrequest and is very efficient.

If what you want is a bunch of little "portlet" widgets, this can be a
good way to do it.

- Perrin