--------------020304020902070805050906

Hello all! I have spent HOURS trying to fgure this one out! I have just
rebuilt my Apache server, and I made a number of changes (remove
FrontPage support, add mod_ssl, get mod_perl working, etc) I have clean
compile and builds for everything. To test the mod_perl aspect of my
server, I have 2 test scripts, (I got them off the 'Web) which are
functionally identical, but one tests the API, and the other the CGI.
The problem I have is that the test for the CGI does not render (not
even a blank page), but the test for the API works PERFECTLY! I am about
ready BEAT the machine! I *know* it is something stupid, but I'm stumped
a to what it could be!

My /perl-status looks like:

> Embedded Perl version v5.8.4 for Apache/1.3.17 (Unix) mod_ssl/2.8.0
> OpenSSL/0.9.6m PHP/4.3.10 mod_perl/1.25 process 27940,
> running since Fri Jul 14 11:02:13 2006
> PerlRequire'd Files
> Perl Configuration
> Compiled Registry Scripts
> Environment
> ISA Tree
> Symbol Table Dump
> Loaded Modules
> Enabled mod_perl Hooks
> Inheritance Tree
> Signal Handlers

Which according to all the documentation I can find looks good. I have a
test script, in 2 flavors
mod_perl API:
my $r = shift;
$r->send_http_header('text/plain');
$r->print("mod_perl (2) rules!\n");

and mod_perl CGI:

> #!/usr/bin/perl
> print "Content-type: text/plain\r\n\r\n";
> print "mod_perl (1) rules!\n";
> exit

which are functionally identical. I have both a /perl/ directory and a
/cgi-bin/ directory. both of the above scripts are in /perl/, and a copy
of the CGI one is in /cgi-bin/. When I type in URL "/perl/mod_perl2.pl"
(the API flavor) it renders:

>mod_perl (2) rules!

When I type in URL "/perl/mod_perl1.pl" (the CGI flavor) it does not
render, and the screen stays the same. (I have brought up other web
pages, and then re-entered the CGI flavor URL, and the page does not
change.) The Apache access log shows it requesting the respective pages,
and there are no entries in the error log.

When I type in URL "/cgi-bin/mod_perl1.pl" (the copy of the CGI flavor
in the /cgi-bin/ directory) it renders perfectly!

To verify that the CGI flavor was REALLY being loaded from the /perl/
directory, I purposely put in an invalid statement in it, and when I
entered the URL, I got an Apache Error 500, and the erroneous line
appeared in the error log, so I *know* it's reading and processing the
Perl CGI file - it's just not RENDERING (in the HTML sense)!!

I have found reports in the internet of the mod_perl CGI working and the
mod_perl API not working, but not the other way around!!

Here is the relevent sections of my httpd.conf (obviously, since the API
is working, the AddModule and stuff before this was done):

> #
> # Enable Embedded Perl (in HTML).
> #
>
> SetHandler perl-script
> PerlHandler Embperl
> Options ExecCGI
>

> #
> # Enable mod_perl (in HTML).
> #
> #Alias /perl/ /usr/local/apache/perl/
> #PerlRequire /usr/local/apache/perl/startup.pl
> PerlModule Apache::Registry
> ##PerlModule Apache::PerlRun
>
> SetHandler perl-script
> PerlHandler Apache::Registry
> ## PerlHandler Apache::PerlRun
> Options +ExecCGI
> Allow from all
> PerlSendHeader On
>

> # Compile the scripts in /modperl/ once for each Apache child process
> # and store it in memory.
> #
> # SetHandler perl-script
> ## PerlResponseHandler Modperl::Registry
> ## PerlOptions +ParseHeaders
> # Options +ExecCGI
> #

> PerlModule Apache::Status
>
> SetHandler perl-script
> PerlHandler Apache::Status
> # PerlHandler Apache::Embperl
>

> PerlFreshRestart On
> PerlWarn On
> PerlTaintCheck On
> #PerlSetEnv SomeKey SomeData
> PerlPassEnv PERL5LIB TERM EDITOR NOCHANCE USER

I give up! I'm stumped!! Anyone out there have either a solution or an
idea what's going on?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Christine.

[...]

<Files *.epl>

  SetHandler   perl-script

  PerlHandler  Embperl

  Options      ExecCGI

</Files>

#

# Enable mod_perl (in HTML).

#

#Alias          /perl/ /usr/local/apache/perl/

#PerlRequire    /usr/local/apache/perl/startup.pl

PerlModule              Apache::Registry

##PerlModule            Apache::PerlRun

<Location /perl/>

  SetHandler           perl-script

  PerlHandler          Apache::Registry

##   PerlHandler                Apache::PerlRun

  Options              +ExecCGI

  Allow from all

  PerlSendHeader       On

</Location>

# Compile the scripts in /modperl/ once for each Apache child process

# and store it in memory.

#<Location /modperl/>

#   SetHandler          perl-script

##   PerlResponseHandler        Modperl::Registry

##   PerlOptions                +ParseHeaders

#   Options             +ExecCGI

#</Location>

PerlModule              Apache::Status

<Location /perl-status>