On 13/07/2006, at 8:33, Ali ISIK wrote:

> Hi, folks,
>
> I need some mod_perl wisdom regarding the current
> situation with inside-out classes.
>
> I am trying to compare, in particular, the following two:
>
> Class::Std
> Object::InsideOut
>
> I can see that O::I has advantages in
>
> o thread safety
> o (at least partial) foreign-inheritance support (the
> ability to inherit from non-inside-out classes)
> o speed (mainly due to array implementation of fields)
> o complete mod_perl support
>
> but I have some investment in Class::Std and I am
> trying to figure out whether I will have to convert my
> existing C::S CGI code to O::I for mod_perl compatibility.
> Are there any show-stoppers with C::S?
>
> I have seen some postings which declared Class::Std
> mod_perl-incompatible. The ideas put forth included:
>
> 1) crucial sub initialize() is in a CHECK block
> 2) custom :attributes break under mod_perl
> 3) some concerns about DESTROY
>
> I see that (1) may by now have been solved (is it?),
> as initialize() is now called from within new(), too.
>
> (2) seems to refer to :CUMULATIVE, :PRIVATE etc.
> Suppose I do not use these. Should I be ok, then?
> Are there any problems with the main :ATTR( ... )
> facility?
>
> How about (3) and other possible weaknesses?
>
> I may need foreign-inheritance (inherit from CDBI)
> and thread-safety (use fork() and port to Win).
> Is C::S totally hopeless in these respects?

My experiments and understanding is that Class::Std (also was my
preference and investment in coding) does not only fail on threads,
but forks as well. This means it can not work with mod_perl at all.

The reason is that the all important identifier is a memory location
- and that changes on write after a fork.

I have not actually tried using C:S with mod_perl - and other wiser
people may have better advice.

Scott
--
* - * http://www.osdc.com.au - Open Source Developers Conference * - *
Scott Penrose

Dismaimer: Open sauce usually ends up never coming out (of the bottle).

Please do not send me Word or PowerPoint attachments.

Microsoft is not the answer. It's the question. And the answer is no.