--Apple-Mail-83-574944995

Hey Guys

I wrote a simple Filter which calls a subrequest - and started by
doing this very simply along the SSI style lines...

Please note - that although I could do this on the fly rather than
buffer, the end result for my code requires capture of the content,
so just imagine that bit is correct :-)

sub filter {
... buffer content into $context->{buffer} ...

if ($f->seen_eos) {

my $buffer = $context->{buffer};

while ((my $i = index($buffer, "EXPAND")) >= 0) {
$f->print(substr($buffer, 0, $i));
$buffer = substr($buffer, $i + 6);

my $subr = $f->r->lookup_uri("/sub.html");
$subr->run();
}
$f->print($buffer);
}
}

The above code always segfaults. Now the first thing that came to
mind was that a $subr->run() would output by printing to stderr which
of course would not work in the filter. Therefore I changed the code,
using the Apache2::TrapSubRequest module to...

my $subr = $f->r->lookup_uri('/sub.html');
my $data;
$subr->run_trapped(\$data, sub { return Apache2::Const::OK });
$f->print($data);

Same problem.

So I got thinking about how it works and thought maybe they just
don't work within a Filter.

When I try the same code within a normal handler it works fine...

BUT (and finally my question) mod_include runs as a filter and does
Sub Requests to get the content, so why don't they work in Perl ?

Am I missing something fundamental in Apache ? In mod_perl (e.g.
Apache::SubRequest is specifically for a provider)? or is there a
likely bug somewhere?

BTW. I tested this in both apache 2.0 and 2.2 using mod_perl2.0.2. I
have not added any traces or debug information yet in case there is
already an obvious answer.

Ta

Scott
--
* - * http://www.osdc.com.au - Open Source Developers Conference * - *
Scott Penrose

Dismaimer: If you receive this email in error - please eat it
immediately to prevent it from falling into the wrong hands.

Please do not send me Word or PowerPoint attachments.

Microsoft is not the answer. It's the question. And the answer is no.

--Apple-Mail-83-574944995
name=PGP.sig
content-transfer-encoding: 7bit

--Apple-Mail-83-574944995--