On Fri, 16 Jun 2006, Torsten Foertsch wrote:

> Yes, since 5.8.1. The problem is that the now old linux-threads implementation
> returns different values for getpid() and getppid() for different threads.
> Hence Perl decides better to cache these values and update the cache on
> fork() to make it more compatible with other thread implementations. Since
> Apache does its own fork the cache is not updated. Mp2 contains code that
> handles the situation but mp1 does not.
>
> For more information see also
>
> http://www.gossamer-threads.com/list...porters/193162
> http://www.gossamer-threads.com/list...porters/175806
>
> Dave, have you tried the proposed approach from the thread you mentioned?

Requiring syscall.ph seems like a nasty hack to me. That _is_ what we've
done with our local version here at Socialtext, but I was planning to use
Linux::Pid for a CPAN version, since it seems cleaners.

> If you are working on Apache::SizeLimit maybe you could incorporate also
> Linux::Smaps for newer kernels. Also the problem of counting out of core
> pages could be addressed at least in the docs, see
>
> http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/modperl/dev/84375

Yeah, I noticed that Apache2::SizeLimit had a bunch of changes. I was
thinking I could incorporate those too.

-dave

VegGuide.Org www.BookIRead.com
Your guide to all that's veg. My book blog