Maurice Yarrow wrote:
> Hello Philip
>
> Thanks for your reply, which was very reassuring, actually.

Excellent!

> By the way, my perl5.8.3 is built for i386-linux-thread-multi,
> but my 5.8.8, which is what I built the mod_perl.so with,
> is built for i686-linux. Two questions, then:
> Is the non-threaded perl5.8.8 / mod_perl combination the
> preferred one?

Most likely. Especially if you're not using a threaded mpm (worker,
event) or going not to make use threads in your code.

I think DBI seems to be making progress on CLONE() ing $dbh handles, at
least from the test results I got/saw over on dbi-dev (at) perl (dot)
org for the 1.51-RC1 just posted. Its docs still say not to use DBI
with ithread enabled perl in production, so I'd go with that recommendation.

> If I subsequently rebuild perl5.8.8 for
> i686-linux-thread-multi,
> will I have to re-make the mod_perl ? (I presume the answer to
> this is yes.)

You are again correct.

HTH.

P.S.
Its bed time where I'm at. (PST)

1024D/A79997FA F357 0FDD 2301 6296 690F 6A47 D55A 7172 A799 97F