I'm stuck!

I have two systems (production and backup/development)
running Fedora Core 3, MP2 and Oracle 10g. Both
systems are behind in several updates. I updated the
backup/development system's kernel, httpd/mp2, and
Perl modules to the latest and greatest. Everything
worked fine at that point. I then upgraded its
database to Oracle10g R2 (from R1) via deleting and
reinstalling. The new database is solid, and the
httpd cgi access to it is solid as long as it is not
running under Mod_Perl. If I try to run the
environment under Mod_Perl (PerlResponseHandler
ModPerl::Registry), the httpd process consumes all CPU
and all memory when I visit the first CGI page that
uses DBI. The httpd service has to be shut down
within 30 seconds or there are no resources available
to respond to any commands. No errors appear in the
httpd error_logs. (After the database upgrade, I
reinstalled (force install) all DBI/DBD modules -- all
installed/tested ok.)

The same problem occurs if I change my DBI connect to
use a database on the other (production) system.
I am also using Apache:BI with a startup.pl script.
I don't see any Oracle connections established after
httpd startup, but the CPU/memory usage is normal and
I don't have any errors.

If I comment out "PerlModule Apache:BI" and
"PerlRequire startup.pl" lines in the httpd.conf, I
get the following error when I access the CGI page;

install_driver(Oracle) failed: Can't load
'/usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.5/i386-linux-thread-multi/auto/DBD/Oracle/Oracle.so'
for module DBD::Oracle: libclntsh.so.10.1: cannot open
shared object file: No such file or directory at
/usr/lib/perl5/5.8.5/i386-linux-thread-multi/DynaLoader.pm
line 230. at (eval 11) line 3
Perhaps a required shared library or dll isn't
installed where expected at
/usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/users.pm line 29

I compared the ORACLE_HOME, LD_LIBRARY_PATH,
libclntsh.so.10.1 (and the link to it from
libclntsh.so ), and the various DBI/DBD modules and
they look identical between my two systems. The only
difference is (from some previous act of desparation)
I set the permissions on the production server to
all=rx for whole ORACLE_HOME tree. I am running the
httpd server as "Group dba" (same as my oracle files)
to test if it is a permissions problem.

I don't know way DynaLoader is complaining about
Oracle.so. It looks fine and everything works when
not running under MP2?

httpd 2.2.2
mp2 2.0.2
DBI 1.50