On Tue, 2006-05-09 at 17:51 +0000, E.Q. McGoon wrote:
> Now I'm starting to see where my mental blocks are. I've always
> operated under the notion that sessions are best left to the operating
> system on each node, so to speak, in an effort to reduce db traffic.

Once you have a cluster, sessions need to be shared between machines.
People often try to invent ways of doing this that will not use a
database, like putting them on NFS. Then they have two problems:
scaling the database and scaling NFS.

Using the same storage technology for your sessions that you use for all
your other shared data means that you have only one thing that you have
to make reliable and learn to scale. Since most sites already need the
database to be up all the time, it's an obvious choice.

- Perrin