Software compilation error - Minix

This is a discussion on Software compilation error - Minix ; Hi all, I am working on Minix 3.1.2a in Qemu. After installing Minix I tried 'packman'. In the options given I tried option 4. It says: "No package list found - retrieving initial version.\nFetching package list." and nothing happens. (this ...

  1. Software compilation error

    Hi all,

    I am working on Minix 3.1.2a in Qemu. After installing Minix I tried
    'packman'. In the options given I tried option 4. It says: "No package
    list found - retrieving initial version.\nFetching package list." and
    nothing happens. (this is with image IDE-3.1.2a.iso)

    Hence I downloaded some of the softwares (from Minix3 site) and
    created an ISO, did an 'isoread' and extracted the software. For
    example I worked with php-5.1.2. When I do a './configure', I get the
    message: "Out of space". I do a 'df' and I see only 17% of my /home
    partition is used. I do 'mined configure', I get "File too big\nError
    code 12". Is this a RAM issue or disk space issue. How do I go about
    installation packages?

    Any help will be very useful for me.

    Thank you,
    KK

  2. Re: Software compilation error

    On Oct 3, 7:01 am, KK wrote:
    > Hi all,
    >
    > I am working on Minix 3.1.2a in Qemu. After installing Minix I tried
    > 'packman'. In the options given I tried option 4. It says: "No package
    > list found - retrieving initial version.\nFetching package list." and
    > nothing happens. (this is with image IDE-3.1.2a.iso)
    >
    > Hence I downloaded some of the softwares (from Minix3 site) and
    > created an ISO, did an 'isoread' and extracted the software. For
    > example I worked with php-5.1.2. When I do a './configure', I get the
    > message: "Out of space". I do a 'df' and I see only 17% of my /home
    > partition is used. I do 'mined configure', I get "File too big\nError
    > code 12". Is this a RAM issue or disk space issue. How do I go about
    > installation packages?
    >
    > Any help will be very useful for me.
    >
    > Thank you,
    > KK

    I am only familiar with one of the errors. Mined will only open up
    files to a certain size. You should try elle (Elle Looks Like Emacs).
    That helped my file size limitation problem. I hope this helps.

  3. Re: Software compilation error

    On Oct 3, 5:01 am, KK wrote:
    > Hi all,
    >
    > I am working on Minix 3.1.2a in Qemu. After installing Minix I tried
    > 'packman'. In the options given I tried option 4. It says: "No package
    > list found - retrieving initial version.\nFetching package list." and
    > nothing happens. (this is with image IDE-3.1.2a.iso)
    >
    > Hence I downloaded some of the softwares (from Minix3 site) and
    > created an ISO, did an 'isoread' and extracted the software. For
    > example I worked with php-5.1.2. When I do a './configure', I get the
    > message: "Out of space". I do a 'df' and I see only 17% of my /home
    > partition is used. I do 'mined configure', I get "File too big\nError
    > code 12". Is this a RAM issue or disk space issue. How do I go about
    > installation packages?
    >
    > Any help will be very useful for me.
    >
    > Thank you,
    > KK

    Hi KK! I wouldn't bother trying to modify the configure file as it is
    quite large and unnecessary. Some information about your system would
    be useful, for instance how much RAM you have allocated to MINIX?
    There is a script in the base package directory called build.minix
    that should be used to configure/build/install the software for you.
    Of course, there are some software prereqs that need to be available
    for the build as well. If you want to start poking around at the
    build process for this software package, I would suggest viewing the
    build.minix file. I also put a README.minix3 file in the base package
    directory that might have some useful information in it. I don't use
    QEMU, but I do use VMWare, Bochs, and real hardware for Minix and have
    not had a problem with packman. Can you provide screenshot(s) of
    where you get stuck? With a little more information we can probably
    get your packman issue resolved.

    James T. Sprinkle - The Grue
    http://www.myspace.com/jamestsprinkle

  4. Re: Software compilation error

    On Oct 3, 2:01 pm, KK wrote:
    > Hi all,
    >
    > I am working on Minix 3.1.2a in Qemu. After installing Minix I tried
    > 'packman'. In the options given I tried option 4. It says: "No package
    > list found - retrieving initial version.\nFetching package list." and
    > nothing happens. (this is with image IDE-3.1.2a.iso)

    Does your network work? (ping minix3.org)

    The following may be useful to you:
    http://www.minixtips.com/2006/06/run...nder-qemu.html

    > Hence I downloaded some of the softwares (from Minix3 site) and
    > created an ISO, did an 'isoread' and extracted the software. For
    > example I worked with php-5.1.2. When I do a './configure', I get the
    > message: "Out of space". I do a 'df' and I see only 17% of my /home
    > partition is used. I do 'mined configure', I get "File too big\nError
    > code 12". Is this a RAM issue or disk space issue. How do I go about
    > installation packages?

    Don't work in /root. Create a separate user account or just use the
    designated directory: /usr/src/commands

    Calling configure directly will hardly ever work since it uses /bin/sh
    which
    does not have nearly enough memory assigned to it by default. (You can
    change this, but you probably shouldn't)

    I use the following build.minix script for compilation with GCC:
    http://www.few.vu.nl/~marco/gnu.build
    It's unnecesarrily complex but takes care of some common problems
    and works for most software.

    Marco

  5. Re: Software compilation error

    Hi all,

    'packman' problem was that I didn't have network configured and
    packman option 4 was trying to update before installing those on CD.
    It is working now. 'php' also compiled fine now with build.minix
    (other than errors saying that it requires some other packages which
    will be fine after I install them.)

    Thank you all,
    KK.

    On Oct 4, 2:39 am, Marco Slot wrote:
    > On Oct 3, 2:01 pm, KK wrote:
    >
    > > Hi all,

    > > I am working on Minix 3.1.2a in Qemu. After installing Minix I tried
    > > 'packman'. In the options given I tried option 4. It says: "No package
    > > list found - retrieving initial version.\nFetching package list." and
    > > nothing happens. (this is with image IDE-3.1.2a.iso)

    > Does your network work? (ping minix3.org)
    >
    > The following may be useful to you:
    > http://www.minixtips.com/2006/06/run...nder-qemu.html
    >
    > > Hence I downloaded some of the softwares (from Minix3 site) and
    > > created an ISO, did an 'isoread' and extracted the software. For
    > > example I worked with php-5.1.2. When I do a './configure', I get the
    > > message: "Out of space". I do a 'df' and I see only 17% of my /home
    > > partition is used. I do 'mined configure', I get "File too big\nError
    > > code 12". Is this a RAM issue or disk space issue. How do I go about
    > > installation packages?

    > Don't work in /root. Create a separate user account or just use the
    > designated directory: /usr/src/commands
    >
    > Calling configure directly will hardly ever work since it uses /bin/sh
    > which
    > does not have nearly enough memory assigned to it by default. (You can
    > change this, but you probably shouldn't)
    >
    > I use the following build.minix script for compilation with GCC:
    > http://www.few.vu.nl/~marco/gnu.build
    > It's unnecesarrily complex but takes care of some common problems
    > and works for most software.
    >
    > Marco

+ Reply to Thread