Ask a question - Minix

This is a discussion on Ask a question - Minix ; I have a question that Why MINIX operating system is not popular nowadays?...

  1. Ask a question

    I have a question that

    Why MINIX operating system is not popular nowadays?

  2. Re: Ask a question

    navedqau@gmail.com wrote:
    > I have a question that

    > Why MINIX operating system is not popular nowadays?

    Asking the people who do use Minix may not be the best approach to get
    these answers, but I'll list some reasons that I think contribute to the
    current state of things:

    - anonymity
    - lack of drivers (notably SATA controllers and USB support)
    - competition. I think by "popular" you mean "popular in the consumer
    market". The problem is that Linux and various *BSD systems have a more
    active history of documentation and software support than Minix currently
    has.

    --
    Jens de Smit
    -- Stewart Dean

  3. Re: Ask a question

    On Oct 3, 2:15 am, "J.F. de Smit" wrote:
    > naved...@gmail.com wrote:
    > > I have a question that
    > > Why MINIX operating system is not popular nowadays?

    > Asking the people who do use Minix may not be the best approach to get
    > these answers, but I'll list some reasons that I think contribute to the
    > current state of things:
    >
    > - anonymity
    > - lack of drivers (notably SATA controllers and USB support)
    > - competition. I think by "popular" you mean "popular in the consumer
    > market". The problem is that Linux and various *BSD systems have a more
    > active history of documentation and software support than Minix currently
    > has.
    >
    > --
    > Jens de Smit
    > Student Computer Science | Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam
    > jfds...@few.vu.nl |http://www.few.vu.nl/~jfdsmit
    > "[In the end, people] get furious at IT that the goddamn magic isn't working"
    > -- Stewart Dean

    This question was basically asked a few weeks ago.

    The general consensus was that Minix3 was too little, too late. It
    does a great job of fulfilling it first purpose: education. It fails
    on general use. When asked if Minix3 had the support and popularity
    that Linux or BSD had, would you switch over? Again, a few answers
    were the same. Linux and BSD already do a good job at filling an
    general purpose/server operating system niche. There is very little
    reason to switch over.

    If Minix3 is to become more that just an educational toy, it will
    probably take a lot of money and man-power.

  4. Re: Ask a question

    > The general consensus was that Minix3 was too little, too late. It
    > does a great job of fulfilling it first purpose: education. It fails
    > on general use. When asked if Minix3 had the support and popularity
    > that Linux or BSD had, would you switch over? Again, a few answers
    > were the same. Linux and BSD already do a good job at filling an
    > general purpose/server operating system niche. There is very little
    > reason to switch over.

    I think it's a bit harsh/premature to be writing off MINIX 3 for
    anything outside of education just yet. As I mentioned in another
    thread I view lack of USB support as a major shortcoming but there is
    a "team" working on that. Quite possibly when some critical mass
    point is reached, i.e. when enough modern features have been
    implemented to make it appealing to those outside of the hard core
    MINIX fans, interest will increase and development will rapidly
    accelerate. This would have to be a fork from the educational branch
    though.

    As for whether I would use MINIX exclusively if it had a few more
    features to make it general purpose, my answer is a definite yes,
    Linux & BSD's not withstanding. The reason is partly philosophical
    i.e. why should any market area or endevour be dominated by a few
    brands/systems and partly practical. Linux's relative safety is due
    at least in part to it's small share of the consumer market. Virus
    writers want to target as many amchines as possible so their viruses
    are written for Windows. If Linux for example ends up with 50%
    general usage this situation will change for the worse. It will be a
    long time before it's worthwhile to write viruses for MINIX.

  5. Re: Ask a question

    fatpig wrote:
    >> The general consensus was that Minix3 was too little, too late. It
    >> does a great job of fulfilling it first purpose: education. It fails
    >> on general use. When asked if Minix3 had the support and popularity
    >> that Linux or BSD had, would you switch over? Again, a few answers
    >> were the same. Linux and BSD already do a good job at filling an
    >> general purpose/server operating system niche. There is very little
    >> reason to switch over.

    > I think it's a bit harsh/premature to be writing off MINIX 3 for
    > anything outside of education just yet. As I mentioned in another
    > thread I view lack of USB support as a major shortcoming but there is
    > a "team" working on that. Quite possibly when some critical mass
    > point is reached, i.e. when enough modern features have been
    > implemented to make it appealing to those outside of the hard core
    > MINIX fans, interest will increase and development will rapidly
    > accelerate. This would have to be a fork from the educational branch
    > though.
    >
    > As for whether I would use MINIX exclusively if it had a few more
    > features to make it general purpose, my answer is a definite yes,
    > Linux & BSD's not withstanding. The reason is partly philosophical
    > i.e. why should any market area or endevour be dominated by a few
    > brands/systems and partly practical. Linux's relative safety is due
    > at least in part to it's small share of the consumer market. Virus
    > writers want to target as many amchines as possible so their viruses
    > are written for Windows. If Linux for example ends up with 50%
    > general usage this situation will change for the worse. It will be a
    > long time before it's worthwhile to write viruses for MINIX.

    obscurity != security

  6. Re: Ask a question

    On Oct 4, 2:43 am, fatpig wrote:
    > > The general consensus was that Minix3 was too little, too late. It
    > > does a great job of fulfilling it first purpose: education. It fails
    > > on general use. When asked if Minix3 had the support and popularity
    > > that Linux or BSD had, would you switch over? Again, a few answers
    > > were the same. Linux and BSD already do a good job at filling an
    > > general purpose/server operating system niche. There is very little
    > > reason to switch over.

    > I think it's a bit harsh/premature to be writing off MINIX 3 for
    > anything outside of education just yet. As I mentioned in another
    > thread I view lack of USB support as a major shortcoming but there is
    > a "team" working on that. Quite possibly when some critical mass
    > point is reached, i.e. when enough modern features have been
    > implemented to make it appealing to those outside of the hard core
    > MINIX fans, interest will increase and development will rapidly
    > accelerate. This would have to be a fork from the educational branch
    > though.
    >
    > As for whether I would use MINIX exclusively if it had a few more
    > features to make it general purpose, my answer is a definite yes,
    > Linux & BSD's not withstanding. The reason is partly philosophical
    > i.e. why should any market area or endevour be dominated by a few
    > brands/systems and partly practical. Linux's relative safety is due
    > at least in part to it's small share of the consumer market. Virus
    > writers want to target as many amchines as possible so their viruses
    > are written for Windows. If Linux for example ends up with 50%
    > general usage this situation will change for the worse. It will be a
    > long time before it's worthwhile to write viruses for MINIX.

    I did not write it off. Everyone else did. Source:
    http://groups.google.com/group/comp....68b02db997add6

    Today, I use MINIX3 exclusively for my flavor of UNIX, on a virtual PC
    (Qemu). But, that only consists of research of OS Theory and Design. I
    hope to one day use MINIX3 as my general purpose OS, on real, modern
    hardware.

  7. Re: Ask a question

    On Oct 4, 11:15 pm, James wrote:
    > On Oct 4, 2:43 am, fatpig wrote:

    > I did not write it off. Everyone else did. Source:http://groups.google.com/group/comp....ead/thread/b3d...
    >
    > Today, I use MINIX3 exclusively for my flavor of UNIX, on a virtual PC
    > (Qemu). But, that only consists of research of OS Theory and Design. I
    > hope to one day use MINIX3 as my general purpose OS, on real, modern
    > hardware.

    My apologies for not picking up on that fine point.

    Charles

  8. Re: Ask a question

    On Oct 5, 6:26 am, fatpig wrote:
    > On Oct 4, 11:15 pm, James wrote:
    >
    > > On Oct 4, 2:43 am, fatpig wrote:
    > > I did not write it off. Everyone else did. Source:http://groups.google.com/group/comp....ead/thread/b3d...

    > > Today, I use MINIX3 exclusively for my flavor of UNIX, on a virtual PC
    > > (Qemu). But, that only consists of research of OS Theory and Design. I
    > > hope to one day use MINIX3 as my general purpose OS, on real, modern
    > > hardware.

    > My apologies for not picking up on that fine point.
    >
    > Charles

    You apologies? I think you missed my point. I am not the one who is
    harsh, about writing MINIX off. You need to direct your sarcasm at the
    other folks who wrote MINIX off.

  9. Re: Ask a question

    On Oct 5, 10:33 pm, James wrote:
    > On Oct 5, 6:26 am, fatpig wrote:
    >
    > > On Oct 4, 11:15 pm, James wrote:

    > > > On Oct 4, 2:43 am, fatpig wrote:
    > > > I did not write it off. Everyone else did. Source:http://groups.google.com/group/comp....ead/thread/b3d...

    > > > Today, I use MINIX3 exclusively for my flavor of UNIX, on a virtual PC
    > > > (Qemu). But, that only consists of research of OS Theory and Design. I
    > > > hope to one day use MINIX3 as my general purpose OS, on real, modern
    > > > hardware.

    > > My apologies for not picking up on that fine point.

    > > Charles

    > You apologies? I think you missed my point. I am not the one who is
    > harsh, about writing MINIX off. You need to direct your sarcasm at the
    > other folks who wrote MINIX off.

    There was no sarcasm intended in my apology. I apologised to you
    because I had incorrectly attributed the comments about writing off
    MINIX 3 to you. It was just an attempt to keep the discussion good
    natured. I aggree fully with your sentiments re. using MINIX as an
    everyday operating system.

    Charles

+ Reply to Thread