Porting JVM - Minix

This is a discussion on Porting JVM - Minix ; Hey all, I want to port JVM to Minix. Is anybody already working on it? And which JVM should I port? Suggestions please !...

  1. Porting JVM

    Hey all,

    I want to port JVM to Minix. Is anybody already working on it?

    And which JVM should I port? Suggestions please !

  2. Re: Porting JVM

    Siddharth Prakash Singh wrote:
    > Hey all,

    > I want to port JVM to Minix. Is anybody already working on it?

    Not that _I_ know of, but it could be

    > And which JVM should I port? Suggestions please !

    AST has on occasion suggested Kaffe (www.kaffe.org). I don't know the
    details of this preference, but it's a clean implementation from scratch,
    which will probably make it easier to port than Sun's code.

    Regards,

    Jens

    --
    Jens de Smit
    -- Stewart Dean

  3. Re: Porting JVM

    On Oct 30, 6:02*am, Siddharth Prakash Singh wrote:
    > Hey all,
    >
    > I want to port JVM to Minix. Is anybody already working on *it?
    >
    > And which JVM should I port? Suggestions please !

    Hi Siddharth! Quick question...have you ported anything this big
    before? Just curious. A JVM is a large piece of code. I agree with
    Jens that Kaffe should probably be the JVM of choice. I actually
    started working on a port of Kaffe 1.0.7 last year about this time.
    Got it to build, but the code output from the java compiler wasn't
    correct and, sad to say, I let my port rot in favor of other things.
    I am not sure of the state of the code, but it is still sitting on my
    dev Minix system. (Uptime 309 days, 3 hours 18 minutes!) There are
    probably newer versions out there by now if you want to take on the
    port. I haven't seen any new port announcements in awhile, so it
    would be good to have some fresh toys to play with. It is getting
    close to the holiday season here, so I might even pull off another
    port or two before year end! Anyway, on the subject of Kaffe, if you
    want to take it on, I say go for it! If you think I can be of
    assistance, feel free to e-mail me.

    The Grue - James T. Sprinkle
    http://www.myspace.com/jamestsprinkle

  4. Re: Porting JVM

    On Oct 31, 2:20*am, The-G...@hotmail.com wrote:
    > On Oct 30, 6:02*am, Siddharth Prakash Singh wrote:
    >
    > > Hey all,

    > > I want to port JVM to Minix. Is anybody already working on *it?

    > > And which JVM should I port? Suggestions please !

    > Hi Siddharth! *Quick question...have you ported anything this big
    > before? *Just curious. *A JVM is a large piece of code. *I agree with
    > Jens that Kaffe should probably be the JVM of choice. *I actually
    > started working on a port of Kaffe 1.0.7 last year about this time.
    > Got it to build, but the code output from the java compiler wasn't
    > correct and, sad to say, I let my port rot in favor of other things.
    > I am not sure of the state of the code, but it is still sitting on my
    > dev Minix system. *(Uptime 309 days, 3 hours 18 minutes!) *There are
    > probably newer versions out there by now if you want to take on the
    > port. *I haven't seen any new port announcements in awhile, so it
    > would be good to have some fresh toys to play with. *It is getting
    > close to the holiday season here, so I might even pull off another
    > port or two before year end! *Anyway, on the subject of Kaffe, if you
    > want to take it on, I say go for it! *If you think I can be of
    > assistance, feel free to e-mail me.
    >
    > The Grue - James T. Sprinklehttp://www.myspace.com/jamestsprinkle

    Has anyone considered JNODE for this? I has explored it a long time
    ago - its basically a complete OS built in JAVA - ofcourse it has a
    JVM written in Java as well!!!...This could potentially be an easier
    port!

  5. Re: Porting JVM

    kashyap wrote:
    > Has anyone considered JNODE for this? I has explored it a long time
    > ago - its basically a complete OS built in JAVA - ofcourse it has a
    > JVM written in Java as well!!!...This could potentially be an easier
    > port!

    Exactly why would this be _easier_? From a quick glance, all I can say
    about the project is that it looks as if everything is in Java bytecode
    except for the nano-kernel and a few architecture-specific classes.
    From the site: "After the bootstrapper code, we're running plain java
    code.". So, JNode's java interpreter/JIT compiler/whatever is running on
    bare hardware, not as a process. JNode's JVM runs on top of this, as pure
    Java. What we need for MINIX is a program that runs as a user process and
    functions as an intermediary between a Java bytecode program and MINIX. I
    could be missing something here, but I don't think JNode will be useful in
    the effort to get Minix a working JVM.

    Regards,

    Jens

    --