Developing Minix - Minix

This is a discussion on Developing Minix - Minix ; Hi Team I would like to know if there is anyone in Australia that is developing minix, I came across it only 2 weeks ago and experimented with it on various types of computers using the CD iso and found ...

  1. Developing Minix

    Hi Team

    I would like to know if there is anyone in Australia that is
    developing minix, I came across it only 2 weeks ago and experimented
    with it on various types of computers using the CD iso and found it
    works well.

    I tried the USB version and was not able to get it to work.

    I would like to know how I can learn to develop Minix including a GUI.

    Kindest Regards

    Thomas

  2. Re: Developing Minix

    Minix is not have a GUI. It just supply a kernel and some useful
    tools.
    If you want to do some development about it, I think, you should read
    its sources code first.

    it...@hotmail.com wrote:
    > Hi Team
    >
    > I would like to know if there is anyone in Australia that is
    > developing minix, I came across it only 2 weeks ago and experimented
    > with it on various types of computers using the CD iso and found it
    > works well.
    >
    > I tried the USB version and was not able to get it to work.
    >
    > I would like to know how I can learn to develop Minix including a GUI.
    >
    > Kindest Regards
    >
    > Thomas

  3. Re: Developing Minix

    iticp@hotmail.com wrote:
    > Hi Team

    > I would like to know if there is anyone in Australia that is
    > developing minix, I came across it only 2 weeks ago and experimented
    > with it on various types of computers using the CD iso and found it
    > works well.

    I'll be visiting Sydney next month, but I'm Dutch, sorry.

    > I tried the USB version and was not able to get it to work.

    It may be a good idea to check if both your computer and USB drive support
    USB booting before trying hard to booot Minix from USB. I know from
    experience that these issues can arise en they can get you seriously
    puzzled

    > I would like to know how I can learn to develop Minix including a GUI.

    Do you want to develop Minix itself or devleop on/for Minix? Either way,
    if you want to do so in a graphical environment, I have not-so-good news:
    Minix' X support is still somewhat rudimentary. The greatest problem is
    that Minix does not support virtual memory, so processes are alotted a
    fixed amount of memory when they are created. How much exactly is stored
    in the a.out header of the binary and can be changed with the "chmem"
    command. Use "chmem +0 " to find out how many bytes are alotted to a
    certain file.

    The thing is: the X system consists of various processes, of which a few
    require quite some memory. Getting these values right for each process is
    somewhat difficult: assign too little and they don't run at all, assign
    too much and they use up so much memory that they don't fit all in your
    physical memory.

    However, not all is lost. Ben Gras, the developer who is writing a virtual
    memory system for Minix, has recently checked in a VM version of Minix 3
    in the SVN repository. I have not yet seen any triumphant hooting on this
    group yet, so it's probably still very experimental, but VM seems to be on
    the way. In the meantime, you _can_ get X to work on some of your machines
    (I did not say it was impossible). However, it helps to have a lot of
    RAM (128 should theoretically be enough but I really recommend 512 or
    something). There's other posts in this group that tell you which binaries
    to adjust (I don't remember them all, but "startx" should be one of them).

    Another option is to develop your source files on a Linux machine or
    something and use scp to copy the files to your Minix box. Write a small
    shell script that does something like "cd ~/cool-project; scp -r
    dev-box:minix/cool-project/* .; make" (you could make it much fancier than
    this, but you get the idea) and use that instead of a regular "make"
    command. That way, you can develop in a spiffy graphical environment with
    browser, audio player and useful stuff like that whille writing cool Minix
    projects. If you don't have a box to spare, you can always use a virtual
    machine like VMWare or QEMU.

    Okay, this turned out to be abit longer than I anticipated... Hope it
    helps.

    Regards,

    Jens

    --