Using Minix kernel for Slackware instead of the Linux kernel - Minix

This is a discussion on Using Minix kernel for Slackware instead of the Linux kernel - Minix ; I do not keep up with Minix much.. I am sure you get this sort of thing all the time. But If I wanted to do something like that could I? If so how would I go about it?...

  1. Using Minix kernel for Slackware instead of the Linux kernel

    I do not keep up with Minix much.. I am sure you get this sort of
    thing all the time. But If I wanted to do something like that could I?
    If so how would I go about it?

  2. Re: Using Minix kernel for Slackware instead of the Linux kernel

    empcrono@gmail.com wrote:
    > I do not keep up with Minix much.. I am sure you get this sort of
    > thing all the time. But If I wanted to do something like that could I?
    > If so how would I go about it?

    Hi,

    One thing about newsgroup posting: please repeat your question in the post
    itself. My newsreader doesn't show your entire subject, but I'm guessing
    you want to use Minix as a substitute for Linux to run Slackware on. As
    for that question:

    The short answer: no. The long answer: not without lots and lots of work.
    Slackware is a specific distribution of Linux, with specific kernel tweaks
    and similar platform-specific modifications. To get the same experience
    with MINIX, you would have to re-create these tweaks on MINIX. Because
    MINIX has far less features overall, this would probably mean writing a
    lot of those from scratch. As any Linux distro, Slackware comes bundled
    with certain software. I quote from the site:

    "A full installation gives you the X Window System, C/C++ development
    environments, Perl, networking utilities, a mail server, a news server, a
    web server, an ftp server, the GNU Image Manipulation Program, Mozilla
    Firefox, plus many more programs."

    Most of these aren't available for MINIX yet, so porting those would be
    required before being able to speak of a true "MINIX Slackware".

    Hope this helps.

    Regards,

    Jens

    --
    Jens de Smit
    -- Stewart Dean

  3. Re: Using Minix kernel for Slackware instead of the Linux kernel

    I see, and thank you for your very informative reply. I have often
    wondered what I would need to do to start help with porting things to
    Minix? The only thing I do not like about its philosophy is the BSD
    style license. I use to think I would be able to that it was beyond
    me. And while I am still getting my legs I am really hitting a growth
    spurt.

    On Oct 23, 5:29*am, "J.F. de Smit" wrote:
    > empcr...@gmail.com wrote:
    > > I do not keep up with Minix much.. I am sure you get this sort of
    > > thing all the time. But If I wanted to do something like that could I?
    > > If so how would I go about it?

    > Hi,
    >
    > One thing about newsgroup posting: please repeat your question in the post
    > itself. My newsreader doesn't show your entire subject, but I'm guessing
    > you want to use Minix as a substitute for Linux to run Slackware on. As
    > for that question:
    >
    > The short answer: no. The long answer: not without lots and lots of work.*
    > Slackware is a specific distribution of Linux, with specific kernel tweaks
    > and similar platform-specific modifications. To get the same experience
    > with MINIX, you would have to re-create these tweaks on MINIX. Because
    > MINIX has far less features overall, this would probably mean writing a
    > lot of those from scratch. As any Linux distro, Slackware comes bundled
    > with certain software. I quote from the site:
    >
    > "A full installation gives you the X Window System, C/C++ development
    > environments, Perl, networking utilities, a mail server, a news server, a
    > web server, an ftp server, the GNU Image Manipulation Program, Mozilla
    > Firefox, plus many more programs."
    >
    > Most of these aren't available for MINIX yet, so porting those would be
    > required before being able to speak of a true "MINIX Slackware".
    >
    > Hope this helps.
    >
    > Regards,
    >
    > Jens
    >
    > --
    > Jens de Smit
    > Student Computer Science | Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam
    > jfds...@few.vu.nl |http://www.few.vu.nl/~jfdsmit
    > "[In the end, people] get furious at IT that the goddamn magic isn't working"
    > -- Stewart Dean

+ Reply to Thread