Help me in Re Developing - Minix

This is a discussion on Help me in Re Developing - Minix ; Hi friends, i am Engg Student in CSE @ India,i like to do more in minix,but actually i dont know the basic of compiling linux,can any body help me in my palns and projects?? Binu Mathew...

  1. Help me in Re Developing

    Hi friends,
    i am Engg Student in CSE @ India,i like to do more in minix,but
    actually i dont know the basic of compiling linux,can any body help me
    in my palns and projects??
    Binu Mathew

  2. Re: Help me in Re Developing

    On 10月8日, 上午2时44分, Binu Mathew wrote:
    > Hi friends,
    > i am Engg Student in CSE @ India,i like to do more in minix,but
    > actually i dont know the basic of compiling linux,can any body help me
    > in my palns and projects??
    > Binu Mathew

    > but actually i dont know the basic of compiling linux

    What is the meanning?
    Minix is compiled by ACK, NOT gcc. and there is not a official version
    that can be compiled on linux.

  3. Re: Help me in Re Developing

    On Oct 8, 5:19 am, fetag wrote:
    > On 10月8日, 上午2时44分, Binu Mathew wrote:
    >
    > > Hi friends,
    > > i am Engg Student in CSE @ India,i like to do more in minix,but
    > > actually i dont know the basic of compiling linux,can any body help me
    > > in my palns and projects??
    > > Binu Mathew
    > > but actually i dont know the basic of compiling linux

    > What is the meanning?
    > Minix is compiled by ACK, NOT gcc. and there is not a official version
    > that can be compiled on linux.

    Sorry,i mean how can i re complie and make changes in minix,
    alsp help me in installing minix in a win XP lap,which have 40 gb
    hdd,can anybody help me???

  4. Re: Help me in Re Developing

    On Oct 8, 5:19 am, fetag wrote:
    > On 10月8日, 上午2时44分, Binu Mathew wrote:
    >
    > > Hi friends,
    > > i am Engg Student in CSE @ India,i like to do more in minix,but
    > > actually i dont know the basic of compiling linux,can any body help me
    > > in my palns and projects??
    > > Binu Mathew
    > > but actually i dont know the basic of compiling linux

    > What is the meanning?
    > Minix is compiled by ACK, NOT gcc. and there is not a official version
    > that can be compiled on linux.

    Hi Binu,
    I cant actually understand what you are trying to do.
    What relationship do you expect to have between Linux and Minix?
    May be you want to compile Minix on Linux, but that is not possible as
    fetag said.
    But you can still run Minix on Linux using kvm. Then you do not need
    to install Minix
    on a computer separately. Hope this will be helpful
    http://wathsalav.blogspot.com/2008/0...h-kvm-and.html
    ..

  5. Re: Help me in Re Developing

    On 10月8日, 下午4时33分, Binu Mathew wrote:
    > On Oct 8, 5:19 am, fetag wrote:
    >
    > > On 10月8日, 上午2时44分, Binu Mathew wrote:

    > > > Hi friends,
    > > > i am Engg Student in CSE @ India,i like to do more in minix,but
    > > > actually i dont know the basic of compiling linux,can any body help me
    > > > in my palns and projects??
    > > > Binu Mathew
    > > > but actually i dont know the basic of compiling linux

    > > What is the meanning?
    > > Minix is compiled by ACK, NOT gcc. and there is not a official version
    > > that can be compiled on linux.

    > Sorry,i mean how can i re complie and make changes in minix,

    Of course! But you had to install ACK compiler.
    > alsp help me in installing minix in a win XP lap,which have 40 gb
    > hdd,can anybody help me???

    If you want to run minix on a WinXP, you must install a virtual
    machine first(such as VMware, VPC and QEMU), then you can install
    minix on the virtual machine. and then, install ACK on minix, you can
    re-compile the minix now.
    As detail, look up here:
    http://www.minix3.org/

    Best Regards!

    Shouwei

  6. Re: Help me in Re Developing

    Sorry friends,actually the word linix came on the first post
    accidently try to read it as minix
    and what i need is installing minix in windows xp system,compiling
    and i want to know about Minix Boot,how stuff work and the FS of
    minix,how can i load GUI in minix and so on,sorry i forgot to say thks
    to those people who replay for my quries,can u people help me???

    Binu Mathew

  7. Re: Help me in Re Developing

    En news:f50765cb-7c01-424d-875d-947a47114e0e@a3g2000prm.googlegroups.com,
    Binu Mathew va escriure:
    > but actually i dont know the basic of compiling linux

    Actually compiling Linux and compiling Minix are two unrelated things which
    unique link is that both are big programs.

    > can any body help me in my palns and projects??

    To be able to compile Minix, you have to install Minix first (and playing a
    bit with it WILL help you).
    How to install it is documented in various places.
    Then, to compile Minix you'll need to install the ACK compiler if you did
    not already have, grab the source tree if you did not already have, then run
    something like
    make somepiece
    in the right place(s): the main Makefile is in src/, for the whole system;
    there is another Makefile in src/tools/ for the system image; to build only
    the Minix micro-kernel (which as you know is the small core of the system),
    start within src/kernel/; etc.

    Antoine

  8. Re: Help me in Re Developing

    Hi Thks for your messege,can you please say how an Minix OS boot?can
    any body say that???

  9. Re: Help me in Re Developing

    "Binu Mathew" wrote...

    > I am an Engineering Student in CSE @ India. I like to do more in Minix;
    > but actually, I don't know the basics of compiling Minix.
    > Can anybody help me in my plans and projects??

    > Sorry, I mean, how can I re-compile and make changes in Minix.
    > Also, help me in installing Minix in a WinXP lap., which has a 40 GB
    > HDD. Can anybody help me???

    > ... what I need is installing Minix in Windows XP system, and compiling
    > it. And, I want to know about Minix Boot, how stuff works, the FS of
    > Minix, how can I load GUI in Minix, and so on.

    I think that the first thing that he wants to know is how to convert a
    single-boot WinXP laptop into a dual-boot (WinXP, Minix 3) machine.

  10. Re: Help me in Re Developing

    On 10月9日, 下午12时27分, Binu Mathew wrote:
    > Hi Thks for your messege,can you please say how an Minix OS boot?can
    > any body say that???

    Him Binu.
    you can find some detail message about minix3 boot.
    http://www.os-forum.com/minix/boot/

  11. Re: Help me in Re Developing

    Ok Thks for your messges for about my boot question and what about
    file system??

  12. Re: Help me in Re Developing

    Binu Mathew va escriure:
    > the basic of compiling [minix]

    Binu Mathew va escriure:
    > Hi Thks for your messege,can you please say how an Minix OS boot?can
    > any body say that???

    Binu Mathew va escriure:
    > Ok Thks for your messges for about my boot question and what about
    > file system??

    Binu Mathew va escriure:
    > can u share with how booting process in minix is working??

    Binu Mathew va escriure:
    > ok.first upol thks for the replay ok can u explain which all files in
    > the source code working for that??

    Binu Mathew va escriure:
    > and i want to know about Minix Boot,how stuff work and the FS of
    > minix,how can i load GUI in minix and so on,sorry i forgot to say thks
    > to those people who replay for my quries,can u people help me???

    You certainly can help yourself by buying Dr.Tanenbaum's book and reading
    it.

    Hope it helps

    Antoine

  13. Re: Help me in Re Developing

    Thks for all ur messegses but my doubt are still ON,can i fire it
    out???

  14. Re: Help me in Re Developing

    @
    Binu Mathew...

    if you want to install MINIX under Windows XP, you have an option
    called virtualization.
    First of all - you have to install Virtualbox(It's a open source
    virtualization software for windows developed by sun), then you can
    install MINIX on top of it, without changing your current operation
    system.

    Another thing is - do you want to develop your own MINIX distribution?
    i don't know you are permitted to do so or not ! check MINIX's
    official web site and Licensing Policy.

    Also The compilation process and complete guide about MINIX - Please
    refer Prof. Andrew S. Tanenbaum's three most common Operating system
    basic books.

    if you need any further information just drop a mail -
    yours.avijit@gmail.com

    Regards
    ~Avijit

  15. Re: Help me in Re Developing

    Thks avijit thks for your messege,i have a doubt in OS development can
    anybody help me in that??
    my doubt are in the following field
    can any body help me?
    booting proccces,