I am a new comer,I want to install a minix in the VMware underwindows..... - Minix

This is a discussion on I am a new comer,I want to install a minix in the VMware underwindows..... - Minix ; I am a new comer,I want to install a minix3 in the VMware under windows system. I want ot begin it from the original source code . But I don't know how to do it. Can anyone give me some ...

  1. I am a new comer,I want to install a minix in the VMware underwindows.....

    I am a new comer,I want to install a minix3 in the VMware under
    windows system.
    I want ot begin it from the original source code . But I don't know
    how to do it. Can anyone give me some advice and instruction ?

    thanks.

  2. Re: I am a new comer,I want to install a minix in the VMware underwindows.....

    > I am a new comer,I want to install a minix3 in the VMware under
    > windows system.
    > I want ot begin it from the original source code . But I don't know
    > how to do it. Can anyone give me some advice and instruction ?

    Hi Xinlin,

    You can't do this. To be able to compile MINIX you need to run MINIX.
    Long ago, there must have been some way to compile MINIX on another
    system to bootstrap it, but since then this ability has been lost.
    Each version of MINIX was compiled on the previous version of MINIX.

    To install MINIX, simply make the install CD available to the VM
    (either from the ISO file or the physical CD-ROM drive) and boot it.
    The CD will start and you can run setup. After you've installed MINIX,
    it is easy to recompile it. This can be done using the Makefile in /
    usr/src/tools.

    With kind regards,
    Erik

  3. Re: I am a new comer,I want to install a minix in the VMware underwindows.....

    On 9月20日, 下午3时23分, Erik van der Kouwe wrote:
    > > I am a new comer,I want to install a minix3 in the VMware under
    > > windows system.
    > > I want ot begin it from the original source code . But I don't know
    > > how to do it. Can anyone give me some advice and instruction ?

    > Hi Xinlin,
    >
    > You can't do this. To be able to compile MINIX you need to run MINIX.
    > Long ago, there must have been some way to compile MINIX on another
    > system to bootstrap it, but since then this ability has been lost.
    > Each version of MINIX was compiled on the previous version of MINIX.
    >
    > To install MINIX, simply make the install CD available to the VM
    > (either from the ISO file or the physical CD-ROM drive) and boot it.
    > The CD will start and you can run setup. After you've installed MINIX,
    > it is easy to recompile it. This can be done using the Makefile in /
    > usr/src/tools.
    >
    > With kind regards,
    > Erik

    ok, I know how to do it now . Thank you very muck!

+ Reply to Thread