EDE Not Working Properly, Fun Goal Small Problem - Minix

This is a discussion on EDE Not Working Properly, Fun Goal Small Problem - Minix ; Hey Im a beggining OS programmer. My goal is to get EDE to be the primary boot screen for MINIX and to recode alot of minix to work with EDE (as well as recode EDE, or get my own SHELL ...

  1. EDE Not Working Properly, Fun Goal Small Problem

    Hey Im a beggining OS programmer. My goal is to get EDE to be the
    primary boot screen for MINIX and to recode alot of minix to work with
    EDE (as well as recode EDE, or get my own SHELL program). Anyway I've
    received an error trying to boot it with the command "startede"

    it prints out this way
    Default EDE home dir for user /root does not exist... Creating one
    Can't open display ""
    Locale not supported by XLib
    Cannot XLib set locale modifiers
    Can't open display ""
    Can't open display ""

    am I using the correct boot command?
    I'm running VMWare Server on windows vista. Please help if you can !

  2. Re: EDE Not Working Properly, Fun Goal Small Problem

    On Sep 17, 2:48*pm, nood...@gmail.com wrote:
    > Hey Im a beggining *OS programmer. My goal is to get EDE to be the
    > primary boot screen for MINIX and to recode alot of minix to work with
    > EDE (as well as recode EDE, or get my own SHELL program). Anyway I've
    > received an error trying to boot it with the command "startede"
    >
    > it prints out this way
    > Default EDE home dir for user /root does not exist... Creating one
    > Can't open display ""
    > Locale not supported by XLib
    > Cannot XLib set locale modifiers
    > Can't open display ""
    > Can't open display ""
    >
    > am I using the correct boot command?
    > I'm running VMWare Server on windows vista. Please help if you can !

    Trying to install minix3 on my laptop I receive an error
    first data field to small? as well. Any help would be appreciated!

  3. Re: EDE Not Working Properly, Fun Goal Small Problem

    noodlez@gmail.com wrote:
    > Hey Im a beggining OS programmer. My goal is to get EDE to be the
    > primary boot screen for MINIX and to recode alot of minix to work with
    > EDE (as well as recode EDE, or get my own SHELL program). Anyway I've
    > received an error trying to boot it with the command "startede"

    > it prints out this way
    > Default EDE home dir for user /root does not exist... Creating one
    > Can't open display ""
    > Locale not supported by XLib
    > Cannot XLib set locale modifiers
    > Can't open display ""
    > Can't open display ""

    Hi,

    'Can't open display ""' means your DISPLAY environment variable is not set
    (or empty). Is X running properly? If it is, try typing

    DISPLAY=:0.0 startede

    or

    export DISPLAY=:0.0; startede

    If X is not running you'll need to start X first. However, my experience
    with X on MINIX is limited, I don't know if startede is supposed to start
    X or if you need to do that manually. You may want to start X alone to
    verify it runs properly by typing startx at a text prompt. If that also
    fails, search this newsgroup for similar topics (keywords: startx, xdm,
    chmem).

    Regards,

    Jens

    --
    Jens de Smit
    -- Stewart Dean

  4. Re: EDE Not Working Properly, Fun Goal Small Problem

    On Sep 18, 2:30*am, "J.F. de Smit" wrote:
    > nood...@gmail.com wrote:
    > > Hey Im a beggining *OS programmer. My goal is to get EDE to be the
    > > primary boot screen for MINIX and to recode alot of minix to work with
    > > EDE (as well as recode EDE, or get my own SHELL program). Anyway I've
    > > received an error trying to boot it with the command "startede"
    > > it prints out this way
    > > Default EDE home dir for user /root does not exist... Creating one
    > > Can't open display ""
    > > Locale not supported by XLib
    > > Cannot XLib set locale modifiers
    > > Can't open display ""
    > > Can't open display ""

    > Hi,
    >
    > 'Can't open display ""' means your DISPLAY environment variable is not set
    > (or empty). Is X running properly? If it is, try typing
    >
    > DISPLAY=:0.0 startede
    >
    > or
    >
    > export DISPLAY=:0.0; startede
    >
    > If X is not running you'll need to start X first. However, my experience
    > with X on MINIX is limited, I don't know if startede is supposed to start
    > X or if you need to do that manually. You may want to start X alone to
    > verify it runs properly by typing startx at a text prompt. If that also
    > fails, search this newsgroup for similar topics (keywords: startx, xdm,
    > chmem).
    >
    > Regards,
    >
    > Jens
    >
    > --
    > Jens de Smit
    > Student Computer Science | Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam
    > jfds...@few.vu.nl |http://www.few.vu.nl/~jfdsmit
    > "[In the end, people] get furious at IT that the goddamn magic isn't working"
    > -- Stewart Dean

    startx just sits there, i tried startede with your display command and
    it just sits there also, maybe vmware has trouble switching video
    modes, are you familiar with vmware?

  5. Re: EDE Not Working Properly, Fun Goal Small Problem

    On Sep 18, 4:36*pm, nood...@gmail.com wrote:
    > On Sep 18, 2:30*am, "J.F. de Smit" wrote:
    >

    > > nood...@gmail.com wrote:
    > > > Hey Im a beggining *OS programmer. My goal is to get EDE to be the
    > > > primary boot screen for MINIX and to recode alot of minix to work with
    > > > EDE (as well as recode EDE, or get my own SHELL program). Anyway I've
    > > > received an error trying to boot it with the command "startede"
    > > > it prints out this way
    > > > Default EDE home dir for user /root does not exist... Creating one
    > > > Can't open display ""
    > > > Locale not supported by XLib
    > > > Cannot XLib set locale modifiers
    > > > Can't open display ""
    > > > Can't open display ""

    > > Hi,

    > > 'Can't open display ""' means your DISPLAY environment variable is not set
    > > (or empty). Is X running properly? If it is, try typing

    > > DISPLAY=:0.0 startede

    > > or

    > > export DISPLAY=:0.0; startede

    > > If X is not running you'll need to start X first. However, my experience
    > > with X on MINIX is limited, I don't know if startede is supposed to start
    > > X or if you need to do that manually. You may want to start X alone to
    > > verify it runs properly by typing startx at a text prompt. If that also
    > > fails, search this newsgroup for similar topics (keywords: startx, xdm,
    > > chmem).

    > > Regards,

    > > Jens

    > > --
    > > Jens de Smit
    > > Student Computer Science | Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam
    > > jfds...@few.vu.nl |http://www.few.vu.nl/~jfdsmit
    > > "[In the end, people] get furious at IT that the goddamn magic isn't working"
    > > -- Stewart Dean

    > startx just sits there, i tried startede with your display command and
    > it just sits there also, maybe vmware has trouble switching video
    > modes, are you familiar with vmware?- Hide quoted text -

    I tried running startx and it just sits there doing nothing, when I
    ctrl+c out of it, I get the error message: Socket INETConnect: Can't
    get the address for local host giving up. xinit: Invalid argument (err
    no 22) Unable to connect to X Server
    xinit: No such process (err no 3) : Unexpected signal 2

  6. Re: EDE Not Working Properly, Fun Goal Small Problem

    On Sep 18, 4:50*pm, nood...@gmail.com wrote:
    > On Sep 18, 4:36*pm, nood...@gmail.com wrote:

    > > > Hi,

    > > > 'Can't open display ""' means your DISPLAY environment variable is not set
    > > > (or empty). Is X running properly? If it is, try typing

    > > > DISPLAY=:0.0 startede

    > > > or

    > > > export DISPLAY=:0.0; startede

    > > > If X is not running you'll need to start X first. However, my experience
    > > > with X on MINIX is limited, I don't know if startede is supposed to start
    > > > X or if you need to do that manually. You may want to start X alone to
    > > > verify it runs properly by typing startx at a text prompt. If that also
    > > > fails, search this newsgroup for similar topics (keywords: startx, xdm,
    > > > chmem).

    > > > Regards,

    > > > Jens

    > > > --
    > > > Jens de Smit
    > > > Student Computer Science | Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam
    > > > jfds...@few.vu.nl |http://www.few.vu.nl/~jfdsmit
    > > > "[In the end, people] get furious at IT that the goddamn magic isn't working"
    > > > -- Stewart Dean

    > > startx just sits there, i tried startede with your display command and
    > > it just sits there also, maybe vmware has trouble switching video
    > > modes, are you familiar with vmware?- Hide quoted text -

    > I tried running startx and it just sits there doing nothing, when I
    > ctrl+c out of it, I get the error message: *Socket INETConnect: Can't
    > get the address for local host giving up. xinit: Invalid argument (err
    > no 22) Unable to connect to X Server
    > xinit: No such process (err no 3) : Unexpected signal 2- Hide quoted text-

    Using the image posted here : http://www.minix3.org/vmware.html
    I receive the error
    xinit: No such file or directory (errno 2): no server in "X" PATH

    Has anyone a suffeicent solution for this problem?

  7. Re: EDE Not Working Properly, Fun Goal Small Problem

    On Sep 18, 8:58*pm, nood...@gmail.com wrote:
    > On Sep 18, 4:50*pm, nood...@gmail.com wrote:

    > > > startx just sits there, i tried startede with your display command and
    > > > it just sits there also, maybe vmware has trouble switching video
    > > > modes, are you familiar with vmware?- Hide quoted text -

    > > I tried running startx and it just sits there doing nothing, when I
    > > ctrl+c out of it, I get the error message: *Socket INETConnect: Can't
    > > get the address for local host giving up. xinit: Invalid argument (err
    > > no 22) Unable to connect to X Server
    > > xinit: No such process (err no 3) : Unexpected signal 2- Hide quoted text -

    > Using the image posted here :http://www.minix3.org/vmware.html
    > I receive the error
    > xinit: No such file or directory (errno 2): no server in "X" PATH
    >
    > Has anyone a suffeicent solution for this problem?- Hide quoted text -

    I foudn a post that recommended I 'chmem
    =80000000 usr/X11R6/bin/Xorg' then typed 'startx' and startx begins
    but then shutsdown with this error

    X connection to :0.0 broken (explict kill or server shutdown)

    can someone tell me which folder to chmem to get EDE to work? or what
    number to use to make startx fully load all the way? This only gets a
    tiny bit of it running!
    Thank you!

  8. Re: EDE Not Working Properly, Fun Goal Small Problem

    noodlez@gmail.com wrote:
    > Using the image posted here : http://www.minix3.org/vmware.html
    > I receive the error
    > xinit: No such file or directory (errno 2): no server in "X" PATH

    It seems the X binary directory is not in your path. Try including it in
    your path:

    export PATH=/usr/X11R6/bin:$PATH

    apply the memory change as well and retry starting X. It takes a bit of
    fiddling, but it does work.

    Regards,

    Jens

    --
    Jens de Smit
    -- Stewart Dean

  9. Re: EDE Not Working Properly, Fun Goal Small Problem

    "J.F. de Smit" wrote ...
    > noodlez wrote:
    > > Using the image posted here: http://www.minix3.org/vmware.html
    > > I receive the error:
    > > xinit: No such file or directory (errno 2): no server in "X" PATH

    > It seems the X binary directory is not in your path. Try including it in
    > your path:
    >
    > export PATH=/usr/X11R6/bin:$PATH

    That directory already was in the PATH environment variable when the virtual
    machine was downloaded from minix.org.

    Only "/usr/gnu/bin" needs to be added to the PATH.

  10. Re: EDE Not Working Properly, Fun Goal Small Problem

    On Sep 18, 11:53*pm, "J.F. de Smit" wrote:
    > nood...@gmail.com wrote:
    > > Using the image posted here :http://www.minix3.org/vmware.html
    > > I receive the error
    > > xinit: No such file or directory (errno 2): no server in "X" PATH

    > It seems the X binary directory is not in your path. Try including it in
    > your path:
    >
    > export PATH=/usr/X11R6/bin:$PATH
    >
    > apply the memory change as well and retry starting X. It takes a bit of
    > fiddling, but it does work.
    >
    > Regards,
    >
    > Jens
    >
    > --
    > Jens de Smit
    > Student Computer Science | Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam
    > jfds...@few.vu.nl |http://www.few.vu.nl/~jfdsmit
    > "[In the end, people] get furious at IT that the goddamn magic isn't working"
    > -- Stewart Dean

    all of a sudden chmem isn't a recognized command.
    anyway, when i did your export startx loaded to the login screen and
    when i login it closes.

    Greg King. do you know how i can get EDE running?

  11. Re: EDE Not Working Properly, Fun Goal Small Problem

    On Sep 19, 4:38*pm, nood...@gmail.com wrote:
    > On Sep 18, 11:53*pm, "J.F. de Smit" wrote:
    >

    > > nood...@gmail.com wrote:
    > > > Using the image posted here :http://www.minix3.org/vmware.html
    > > > I receive the error
    > > > xinit: No such file or directory (errno 2): no server in "X" PATH

    > > It seems the X binary directory is not in your path. Try including it in
    > > your path:

    > > export PATH=/usr/X11R6/bin:$PATH

    > > apply the memory change as well and retry starting X. It takes a bit of
    > > fiddling, but it does work.

    > > Regards,

    > > Jens

    > > --
    > > Jens de Smit
    > > Student Computer Science | Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam
    > > jfds...@few.vu.nl |http://www.few.vu.nl/~jfdsmit
    > > "[In the end, people] get furious at IT that the goddamn magic isn't working"
    > > -- Stewart Dean

    > all of a sudden chmem isn't a recognized command.
    > anyway, when i did your export startx loaded to the login screen and
    > when i login it closes.
    >
    > Greg King. do you know how i can get EDE running?- Hide quoted text -

    Jens de Smit do you have a messenger account so I can talk to you
    directly?

  12. Re: EDE Not Working Properly, Fun Goal Small Problem

    On Sep 19, 7:57*pm, nood...@gmail.com wrote:
    > On Sep 19, 4:38*pm, nood...@gmail.com wrote:

    > > > It seems the X binary directory is not in your path. Try including itin
    > > > your path:

    > > > export PATH=/usr/X11R6/bin:$PATH

    > > > apply the memory change as well and retry starting X. It takes a bit of
    > > > fiddling, but it does work.

    > > > Regards,

    > > > Jens

    > > > --
    > > > Jens de Smit
    > > > Student Computer Science | Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam
    > > > jfds...@few.vu.nl |http://www.few.vu.nl/~jfdsmit
    > > > "[In the end, people] get furious at IT that the goddamn magic isn't working"
    > > > -- Stewart Dean

    > > all of a sudden chmem isn't a recognized command.
    > > anyway, when i did your export startx loaded to the login screen and
    > > when i login it closes.

    > > Greg King. do you know how i can get EDE running?- Hide quoted text -

    > Jens de Smit do you have a messenger account so I can talk to you
    > directly?- Hide quoted text -

    Ok. So I using a chmem value of 500000 startx now functions. Although
    I still can't get startede to work properly. All input would be
    helpful!

  13. Re: EDE Not Working Properly, Fun Goal Small Problem

    On Sep 20, 12:10*pm, nood...@gmail.com wrote:
    > On Sep 19, 7:57*pm, nood...@gmail.com wrote:

    > > > all of a sudden chmem isn't a recognized command.
    > > > anyway, when i did your export startx loaded to the login screen and
    > > > when i login it closes.

    > > > Greg King. do you know how i can get EDE running?- Hide quoted text -

    > > Jens de Smit do you have a messenger account so I can talk to you
    > > directly?- Hide quoted text -

    > Ok. So I using a chmem value of 500000 startx now functions. Although
    > I still can't get startede to work properly. All input would be
    > helpful!- Hide quoted text -

    Well. startede Now runs! Thanks guys! Is there a way to make it work
    without startx running first however?

+ Reply to Thread