compaction in minix - Minix

This is a discussion on compaction in minix - Minix ; i m trying to develop a compaction algorithm for minix.could anyone suggest me the way to go abt it as I have got some preliminary info abt it.Should i just change the data,stack,text segment offset address in the forkexit file.any ...

  1. compaction in minix

    i m trying to develop a compaction algorithm for minix.could anyone
    suggest me the way to go abt it as I have got some preliminary info
    abt it.Should i just change the data,stack,text segment offset address
    in the forkexit file.any suggestions

  2. Re: compaction in minix

    06CO50 wrote:
    > i m trying to develop a compaction algorithm for minix.could anyone
    > suggest me the way to go abt it as I have got some preliminary info
    > abt it.Should i just change the data,stack,text segment offset address
    > in the forkexit file.any suggestions

    Hi,

    You mean something that reactively fixes memory fragmentation? If you
    really intend to develop an algorithm I'd start with designing it on
    paper... Think about the impact it will have on performance (time
    complexity of your algorithm), what you gain by it, go from there to
    determining how often you want to run it, read up on the structure of
    the Process Manager and the kernel and _then_ start looking at the
    files.

    Just my 2 cents.

    Regards,

    Jens