Is Minix right for me? - Minix

This is a discussion on Is Minix right for me? - Minix ; Hello all, I'm looking for a simple open-source kernel which I can modify in order to replace system calls by some custom code. For instance, one could replace Minix fork, read, write, etc syscalls by the equivalent functions on a ...

  1. Is Minix right for me?

    Hello all,

    I'm looking for a simple open-source kernel which I can modify in
    order to replace system calls by some custom code. For instance, one
    could replace Minix fork, read, write, etc syscalls by the equivalent
    functions on a Linux host, and then run Minix in a process on Linux
    (some kind of virtualization).

    Linux kernel for instance can be run as a process (see UML "user-mode
    Linux"), the problem is that Linux has +300 system calls which is a
    LOT and seems complex. I think Minix has far less (~90?) system calls.

    Do anyone have an idea on how complex is modifying Minix syscalls?

    Thanks in advance,
    -- Giovanni

  2. Re: Is Minix right for me?

    > Do anyone have an idea on how complex is modifying Minix syscalls?

    MINIX is very easy to understand and modify and the number of calls is
    small; modifying system calls should be no problem if you have
    knowledge of C.

    Concerning your project, the only thing that worries me is that you may
    have trouble compiling Minix. Currently, Minix only compiles on its own
    default compiler ACK, so compiling Minix on Linux is not possible. I
    believe people are working on a port that is supposed to be compilable
    on GCC, but you should probably contact them to find out whether their
    work will help you. Google the group archives to find more.

    --
    With kind regards,
    Erik van der Kouwe

+ Reply to Thread