where is the masterboot.s file? - Minix

This is a discussion on where is the masterboot.s file? - Minix ; Is it in the Minix souce files downloaded at http://www.minix3.org/ ? I can not find the file in the Minix souce files package? If there is not a masterboot.s file(and bootblock.s,bootthead.s,boot.c bootimages.c ,rawfs.c) in the Minix souce files package,how can ...

  1. where is the masterboot.s file?

    Is it in the Minix souce files downloaded at http://www.minix3.org/ ?
    I can not find the file in the Minix souce files package?
    If there is not a masterboot.s file(and bootblock.s,bootthead.s,boot.c
    bootimages.c ,rawfs.c) in the Minix souce files package,how can it be
    compiled to a whole operting system?

  2. Re: where is the masterboot.s file?

    En news:7c963a59-f296-49d5-93d4-cf14c5f6d299@s1g2000pra.googlegroups.com,
    grass va escriure:
    > Is it in the Minix souce files downloaded at http://www.minix3.org/ ?

    Yes

    > I can not find the file in the Minix souce files package?

    find /path/to/unpacked/src -name masterboot.s -print

    My guess is that it should find it quickly, since the folders are stored in
    alphabetical order ;-)

    > If there is not a masterboot.s file(and bootblock.s,bootthead.s,boot.c
    > bootimages.c ,rawfs.c) in the Minix souce files package,how can it be
    > compiled to a whole operting system?

    Compiling it is a different thing, because of the 1981-compatible but now
    quite awkward-looking PC architecture.
    The real problem here is that masterboot.s and the rest are 16-bit code,
    while the rest of Minix is 32-bit (these days); so you definitively need
    some specific compiler setup to be able to compile this stuff.

    However, these problems were much more annoying in the past than they are
    now; usually, make (the Makefile really) hides the ugly details; IIRC,
    a -mi86 option passed to cc does the job to invoke the 16-bit
    compiler/assembler; of course this in turn requires you to have a "bi-arch"
    (16+32) compiler installed.

    Antoine

  3. Re: where is the masterboot.s file?

    Thanks Antoine.
    I find that file in /usr/src/boot in the Minix operateing system.
    But can not find it in the Minix source package (http://www.minix3.org/
    download/minix-src-current.tar.gz). why does it not included in minix-
    src-current.tar.gz?maybe it's is not part of the Minix operating system

  4. Re: where is the masterboot.s file?

    oh,it's strange. I use Windows operating system. Before uncompressing
    minix-src-current.tar.gz, the "boot" directory show in the winrar main
    windows, but when uncompressed, it is disappeared. Any one who using
    windows operating system meet the same problem?

  5. Re: where is the masterboot.s file?

    grass escreveu:

    > oh,it's strange. I use Windows operating system. Before uncompressing
    > minix-src-current.tar.gz, the "boot" directory show in the winrar main
    > windows, but when uncompressed, it is disappeared. Any one who using
    > windows operating system meet the same problem?

    WinZip and WinRar need some trickery to maintain internal paths when
    decompressing, don't ask me why.
    Use 7-zip. It has the additional benefit of being FLOSS.

    http://www.7-zip.org

    --
    João Jerónimo

    "Computer are composed of software, hardware, and other stuff terminated
    in "ware", like firmware, tupperware, (...)" - by JJ.

  6. Re: where is the masterboot.s file?

    > WinZip and WinRar need some trickery to maintain internal paths when
    > decompressing, don't ask me why.

    --
    João Jerónimo

    "Computer are composed of software, hardware, and other stuff terminated
    in "ware", like firmware, tupperware, (...)" - by JJ.

  7. Re: where is the masterboot.s file?

    the "boot" directory seem in there, because deleting the whole src
    directory can make an error,i can sure not any process are accessing
    the src directory.

  8. Re: where is the masterboot.s file?

    Thanks Joo Jernimo .

  9. Re: where is the masterboot.s file?

    grass escreveu:

    > the "boot" directory seem in there, because deleting the whole src
    > directory can make an error,i can sure not any process are accessing
    > the src directory.

    What's the error?

    --
    João Jerónimo

    "Computer are composed of software, hardware, and other stuff terminated
    in "ware", like firmware, tupperware, (...)" - by JJ.

  10. Re: where is the masterboot.s file?

    I installed the 7-zip,but It still cannot exact the "boot" directory
    from the source package. I retore my operating system, the problem
    disappeared.

    grass

  11. Re: where is the masterboot.s file?

    I reinstalled my operating system. The prolem disappeared.

    grass

  12. Re: where is the masterboot.s file?

    --{ grass a plop ceci: }--

    > I reinstalled my operating system. The prolem disappeared.

    Windows way of life: [R]etry, [R]eboot, [R]einstall

    --
    Grosse fatigue, l. J'ai pas russi faire passer le dcret pour
    doubler mes revenus...

+ Reply to Thread