The Minix cannot boot(I have dual boot) - Minix

This is a discussion on The Minix cannot boot(I have dual boot) - Minix ; first I installed the Minix,it's boot OK.when i installed the slackware,use the lilo for the bootloader, the Minx can not boot.maybe the way the lilo installed is not right.but i following http://minix1.woodhull.com/faq/lilomx.html changed the /etc/lilo.conf: other=/dev/hda1 label=Minix table=/dev/hda it still ...

  1. The Minix cannot boot(I have dual boot)

    first I installed the Minix,it's boot OK.when i installed the
    slackware,use the lilo for the bootloader,
    the Minx can not boot.maybe the way the lilo installed is not
    right.but i following http://minix1.woodhull.com/faq/lilomx.html
    changed the /etc/lilo.conf:
    other=/dev/hda1
    label=Minix
    table=/dev/hda
    it still does not work.any one can help?
    I installed the Minix in the first hard disk and first
    partion(c0d0p0).

  2. Re: The Minix cannot boot(I have dual boot)

    grass wrote:
    > first I installed the Minix,it's boot OK.when i installed the
    > slackware,use the lilo for the bootloader,
    > the Minx can not boot.maybe the way the lilo installed is not
    > right.but i following http://minix1.woodhull.com/faq/lilomx.html
    > changed the /etc/lilo.conf:
    > other=/dev/hda1
    > label=Minix
    > table=/dev/hda
    > it still does not work.any one can help?
    > I installed the Minix in the first hard disk and first
    > partion(c0d0p0).

    What does it say when it doesn't work?

    --
    Jens de Smit
    -- Stewart Dean

  3. Re: The Minix cannot boot(I have dual boot)

    On 9月10日, 下午10时11分, grass wrote:
    > first I installed the Minix,it's boot OK.when i installed the
    > slackware,use the lilo for the bootloader,
    > the Minx can not boot.maybe the way the lilo installed is not
    > right.but i followinghttp://minix1.woodhull.com/faq/lilomx.html
    > changed the /etc/lilo.conf:
    > other=/dev/hda1
    > label=Minix
    > table=/dev/hda
    > it still does not work.any one can help?
    > I installed the Minix in the first hard disk and first
    > partion(c0d0p0).

    afte carefully read the content on the site-http://minix1.woodhull.com/
    faq/lilomx.html ,I know i miss adding the following command:
    installboot -d /dev/hd2a /usr/mdec/bootblock/boot.
    but what should i change the ha2a to? c0d0po???

    when i enter the command( installboot -d /dev/c0d0p0 /usr/mdec/
    bootblock/boot) in Minix, it said:
    /dev/c0d0p0 is not a Minix file system

  4. Re: The Minix cannot boot(I have dual boot)

    it still does not work mean: Minix cannot boot in the lilo
    bootloader.

  5. Re: The Minix cannot boot(I have dual boot)

    grass va escriure en
    > first I installed the Minix,it's boot OK.

    Minix alone on the only disk, right?

    > when i installed the
    > slackware,use the lilo for the bootloader,

    Where is Slackware? (which partitions)
    How did you set up lilo in Slackware?
    Does Linux bootstraps?
    Can you mount and read the Minix filesystem from Linux?

    > the Minx can not boot.maybe the way the lilo installed is not
    > right.but i following http://minix1.woodhull.com/faq/lilomx.html
    > changed the /etc/lilo.conf:

    Can you post the whole lilo.conf please?

    > I installed the Minix in the first hard disk and first
    > partion(c0d0p0).

    This should match Linux' /dev/hda1 provided your partitions are in the
    "obvious" order.

    Antoine

  6. Re: The Minix cannot boot(I have dual boot)

    the whole lilo.conf:
    #LILOconfiguration file
    #generated by 'liloconfig'
    #
    #Start LILO global section
    boot = /dev/hda
    #compact #faster,but won't work on all systems.
    #Append any additional kernel parameters:
    append=" vt.default_utf8=0"
    prompt
    timeout = 50
    #Normal VGA console
    vga = normal
    # Linux bootable partition config begins
    image =/boot/vmlinuz
    root = /dev/hdb2
    label = Slackware
    read-only #Partions should be mounted read-only for checking
    # Linux bootable partition config ends
    # Linux bootable partition config begins
    other =/dev/hda1
    label = Minix
    table = /dev/hda
    read-only #Partions should be mounted read-only for checking
    # Linux bootable partition config ends

  7. Re: The Minix cannot boot(I have dual boot)

    > Minix alone on the only disk, right?

    yes at the time.

    > Where is Slackware? (which partitions)
    > How did you set up lilo in Slackware?
    > Does Linux bootstraps?
    > Can you mount and read the Minix filesystem from Linux?

    Slackware is in the second partition of second drive. it boot
    normally.
    I don't know how to mount and read the Minix filesystem from
    Linux.maybe I should config the \etc\fstab file,but what is the Minix
    filesystem should i config in fstab?

    thanks

  8. Re: The Minix cannot boot(I have dual boot)

    En
    grass va escriure:
    > I don't know how to mount and read the Minix filesystem from
    > Linux.

    Well, `mount /dev/hda1 /some/dir` should do the trick. If automount does not
    grab it, the full command is
    # mount -t minix /dev/hda1 /some/dir

    Of course, you should have minixfs support in your Linux' kernel. Since
    Minix was/is the default format for floppies, it happened to be a common
    configuration; however I notice it is falling out of favour. Minix V2
    support was brought in about 10 years ago, so it should not be a problem
    these days. Minix V3 support is another story: 2.6 (Slackware 12) has it,
    but 2.4/Slackware 11 may need a patch, look after
    http://www.terra.es/personal2/danarag/ for it (and cheers to Daniel).

    Also if minixfs is compiled as a module, make sure that the module is
    actually present/loaded.

    As a point of fact, on V2, perhaps running
    fsck.minix -options /dev/hda1
    might prove a better first move (man to get the options, you'll have to run
    more than once).
    Unfortunately, as far as I can see fsck.minix still hasn't been patched to
    support V3 filesystem, at least on my util-linux-ng-2.13 dated 2007-10-04;
    in fact it is on the TODO[later] list for the recent 2.14 release,
    http://marc.info/?l=util-linux-ng&m=119243851525094... This thread is
    interesting, BTW.

    Antoine

+ Reply to Thread