process - Minix

This is a discussion on process - Minix ; Hi All, I'm new to minix and I need to make some modifcations in order to set priority when a process is created. Any suggestions? Thanks...

  1. process

    Hi All,
    I'm new to minix and I need to make some modifcations in order to set
    priority when a process is created. Any suggestions?
    Thanks

  2. Re: process

    abidz05@gmail.com wrote:
    > Hi All,
    > I'm new to minix and I need to make some modifcations in order to set
    > priority when a process is created. Any suggestions?

    The "nice" command?

    --
    Jens de Smit
    -- Stewart Dean

  3. Re: process

    On Sep 10, 3:22*am, "J.F. de Smit" wrote:
    > abid...@gmail.com wrote:
    > > Hi All,
    > > I'm new to minix and I need to make some modifcations in order to set
    > > priority when a process is created. Any suggestions?

    > The "nice" command?
    >
    > --
    > Jens de Smit
    > Student Computer Science | Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam
    > jfds...@few.vu.nl |http://www.few.vu.nl/~jfdsmit
    > "[In the end, people] get furious at IT that the goddamn magic isn't working"
    > -- Stewart Dean

    What I need to be done is change on the code of minix where the
    processes are created and give that a process can be set to specific
    priority

  4. Re: process

    abidz05@gmail.com wrote:
    > On Sep 10, 3:22?am, "J.F. de Smit" wrote:
    >> abid...@gmail.com wrote:
    >> > Hi All,
    >> > I'm new to minix and I need to make some modifcations in order to set
    >> > priority when a process is created. Any suggestions?

    >> The "nice" command?
    >>

    > What I need to be done is change on the code of minix where the
    > processes are created and give that a process can be set to specific
    > priority

    I suggest getting Tanenbaum's book Operating Systems: Design &
    Implementation. There's a part on processes, process priority, and how it
    is implemented in Minix. Alternatively, take a look at the code of the
    scheduler (bound to be somewhere in the kernel/ directory) and see how
    that decides which process to schedule.

    Regards,

    Jens

    --
    Jens de Smit
    -- Stewart Dean

  5. Re: process

    On Sep 10, 9:32*am, "J.F. de Smit" wrote:
    > abid...@gmail.com wrote:

    > >> The "nice" command?

    > > What I need to be done is change on the code of minix where the
    > > processes are created and give that a process can be set to specific
    > > priority

    > I suggest getting Tanenbaum's book Operating Systems: Design &
    > Implementation. There's a part on processes, process priority, and how it
    > is implemented in Minix. Alternatively, take a look at the code of the
    > scheduler (bound to be somewhere in the kernel/ directory) and see how
    > that decides which process to schedule.
    >
    > Regards,
    >
    > Jens
    >
    > --
    > Jens de Smit
    > Student Computer Science | Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam
    > jfds...@few.vu.nl |http://www.few.vu.nl/~jfdsmit
    > "[In the end, people] get furious at IT that the goddamn magic isn't working"
    > -- Stewart Dean

    I have that book. The question is number 40 from the book and I'm
    trying to solve it
    Do you have any idea bout the solutions?

  6. Re: process

    abidz05@gmail.com wrote:
    > On Sep 10, 9:32?am, "J.F. de Smit" wrote:
    >> abid...@gmail.com wrote:

    >> > What I need to be done is change on the code of minix where the
    >> > processes are created and give that a process can be set to specific
    >> > priority

    >> I suggest getting Tanenbaum's book Operating Systems: Design &
    >> Implementation. There's a part on processes, process priority, and how it
    >> is implemented in Minix. Alternatively, take a look at the code of the
    >> scheduler (bound to be somewhere in the kernel/ directory) and see how
    >> that decides which process to schedule.
    >>

    > I have that book. The question is number 40 from the book and I'm
    > trying to solve it
    > Do you have any idea bout the solutions?

    I'm using the second edition of the book, but my question 40 states
    "Redesign MINIX so each process has a priority level field in its process
    table that can be used to give higher or lower priorities to individual
    processes". Seeing how Minix 3 already has this feature, you're probably
    using the third edition of the book with a slightly different question 40.
    Try looking at the code for the fork() system call in the files in
    kernel/system and servers/pm.

    Regards,

    Jens

    --
    Jens de Smit
    -- Stewart Dean

  7. Re: process

    I'm using the 3rd edition the question is "Modify minix 3 so that each
    process can explicitly set the scheduling priority of it's children
    using a new system call setpriority with parameters and priority"
    On Sep 11, 9:38*am, "J.F. de Smit" wrote:
    > abid...@gmail.com wrote:

    > >> I suggest getting Tanenbaum's book Operating Systems: Design &
    > >> Implementation. There's a part on processes, process priority, and howit
    > >> is implemented in Minix. Alternatively, take a look at the code of the
    > >> scheduler (bound to be somewhere in the kernel/ directory) and see how
    > >> that decides which process to schedule.

    > > I have that book. The question is number 40 from the book and I'm
    > > trying to solve it
    > > Do you have any idea bout the solutions?

    > I'm using the second edition of the book, but my question 40 states
    > "Redesign MINIX so each process has a priority level field in its process
    > table that can be used to give higher or lower priorities to individual
    > processes". Seeing how Minix 3 already has this feature, you're probably

    > using the third edition of the book with a slightly different question 40.. *
    > Try looking at the code for the fork() system call in the files in
    > kernel/system and servers/pm.
    >
    > Regards,
    >
    > Jens
    >
    > --
    > Jens de Smit
    > Student Computer Science | Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam
    > jfds...@few.vu.nl |http://www.few.vu.nl/~jfdsmit
    > "[In the end, people] get furious at IT that the goddamn magic isn't working"
    > -- Stewart Dean

+ Reply to Thread