Re: data in mpx386.s - Minix

This is a discussion on Re: data in mpx386.s - Minix ; > I've translated most of the code in mpx386.s to nasm - > http://code.google.com/p/powerpack/s...rc/kernel/mpx3 > 86.nasm > > Perhaps I am just being lazy here - but I'd appreciate it very much if > someone could tell me what the ...

  1. Re: data in mpx386.s

    > I've translated most of the code in mpx386.s to nasm -
    > http://code.google.com/p/powerpack/s...rc/kernel/mpx3
    > 86.nasm
    >
    > Perhaps I am just being lazy here - but I'd appreciate it very much if
    > someone could tell me what the significance of 0x526F is
    > .sect .rom ! Before the string table please
    > .data2 0x526F ! this must be the first data entry
    > (mag

    It is a magic number, which seems to be used by the boot monitor to be
    able to recognize MINIX kernel images.

    --
    With kind regards,
    Erik van der Kouwe

  2. Re: data in mpx386.s

    On Sep 7, 11:41*pm, "Erik van der Kouwe" few.vu.nl>
    wrote:
    > > I've translated most of the code in mpx386.s to nasm -
    > >http://code.google.com/p/powerpack/s...rc/kernel/mpx3
    > > 86.nasm

    > > Perhaps I am just being lazy here - but I'd appreciate it very much if
    > > someone could tell me what the significance of *0x526F is
    > > .sect .rom * * *! Before the string table please
    > > * * * * *.data2 *0x526F * * * * *! this must be the first data entry
    > > (mag

    > It is a magic number, which seems to be used by the boot monitor to be
    > able to recognize MINIX kernel images.
    >
    > --
    > With kind regards,
    > Erik van der Kouwe

    Cool, thanks ... I can ignore it in that case since I am using GRUB to
    bootload.

+ Reply to Thread