advice on setup of minix running in bochs on freebsd - Minix

This is a discussion on advice on setup of minix running in bochs on freebsd - Minix ; I want to set up so minix runs in the bochs emulator. I cant seem to find any information on how to actually do this. Can someone please point me in the right direction. thnaks...

  1. advice on setup of minix running in bochs on freebsd

    I want to set up so minix runs in the bochs emulator. I cant seem to find
    any information on how to actually do this. Can someone please point me
    in the right direction.
    thnaks

  2. Re: advice on setup of minix running in bochs on freebsd

    > I want to set up so minix runs in the bochs emulator. I cant seem to
    > find any information on how to actually do this. Can someone please
    > point me in the right direction.
    > thnaks

    Why would you want to run it on Bochs? QEMU should be alot faster and
    it should emulate the same hardware as Bochs (much of its hardware
    emulation is copied from Bochs). Advise on running Minix on QEMU should
    be all over the internet, especially in the Google Groups archives for
    this newsgroup.

    --
    With kind regards,
    Erik van der Kouwe

  3. Re: advice on setup of minix running in bochs on freebsd

    On Fri, 05 Sep 2008 17:30:22 +0000, "Erik van der Kouwe"
    >> I want to set up so minix runs in the bochs emulator. I cant seem to
    >> find any information on how to actually do this. Can someone please
    >> point me in the right direction.
    >> thnaks

    > Why would you want to run it on Bochs? QEMU should be alot faster and it
    > should emulate the same hardware as Bochs (much of its hardware
    > emulation is copied from Bochs). Advise on running Minix on QEMU should
    > be all over the internet, especially in the Google Groups archives for
    > this newsgroup.

    ok thanks - i will use qemu. i have no experience of emulators and just
    thought that bochs was 'the program' to use.

  4. Re: advice on setup of minix running in bochs on freebsd

    NVangogh escreveu:

    >> Why would you want to run it on Bochs? QEMU should be alot faster and it
    >> should emulate the same hardware as Bochs (much of its hardware
    >> emulation is copied from Bochs). Advise on running Minix on QEMU should
    >> be all over the internet, especially in the Google Groups archives for
    >> this newsgroup.

    > ok thanks - i will use qemu. i have no experience of emulators and just
    > thought that bochs was 'the program' to use.

    Bochs is a great tool if you want to debug low level code, for example, the
    initialization routines of your own operating system (for example, it can
    save you from the effort of writing or adapting an integrated kernel
    debugger yourself). Otherwise, the only chance you will like it is if you
    are a maniac hungry to test strange configurations... :-)

    --
    João Jerónimo

    "Computer are composed of software, hardware, and other stuff terminated
    in "ware", like firmware, tupperware, (...)" - by JJ.

+ Reply to Thread